[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SIMMs from Peripheral Outlet?

grobbins@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (03/09/90)

For four weeks in MacWeek, Peripheral Outlet of Ada, Oklahoma
has been advertising 100/80/70 ns SIMMs for $61.  They will not
currently sell them at that price, however.

Has anyone been able to buy SIMMs from them for $61?  I'd like to hear
from any net readers who have purchased SIMMs from Peripheral Outlet in
the past month.  Please mention what price they charged, and what
speed the chips were.

Grobbins        grobbins@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

(Send mail; will summarize.)

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (03/09/90)

In article <21491@netnews.upenn.edu> grobbins@eniac.seas.upenn.edu writes:
>For four weeks in MacWeek, Peripheral Outlet of Ada, Oklahoma
>has been advertising 100/80/70 ns SIMMs for $61.  They will not
>currently sell them at that price, however.

Isn't it illegal for a mail order business to advertise one price
and sell for another?  I'm sure the postal authorities would love to
hear about this.

I was planning to buy more RAM soon, and PO was going to get my
business.  But if they're doing something like this, I'll go
elsewhere!
--
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)

wiseman@tellab5.tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (03/09/90)

In article <21491@netnews.upenn.edu> grobbins@eniac.seas.upenn.edu writes:
>For four weeks in MacWeek, Peripheral Outlet of Ada, Oklahoma
>has been advertising 100/80/70 ns SIMMs for $61.  They will not
>currently sell them at that price, however.

I believe that the $61 price is for the 100ns units. They do not have any of
them at present, only tthe 80ns ones.

>Has anyone been able to buy SIMMs from them for $61?  I'd like to hear
>from any net readers who have purchased SIMMs from Peripheral Outlet in
>the past month.  Please mention what price they charged, and what

I am in the process of getting 2 80ns 1Mbyte simms from them at $66 each. The
reason I say "in the process" because I have sent several 256Ksimms in that
that are testing and will give me $8 each for them. This purchasing of simms is
normally done the other way around though. (you buy the simms from them and
then as a service, they will purchase your 256k's if you like)

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu (John Price) (03/10/90)

In article <2223@tellab5.tellabs.com>, wiseman@tellab5.tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) writes:
>In article <21491@netnews.upenn.edu> grobbins@eniac.seas.upenn.edu writes:
>>For four weeks in MacWeek, Peripheral Outlet of Ada, Oklahoma
>>has been advertising 100/80/70 ns SIMMs for $61.  They will not
>>currently sell them at that price, however.
>
>I believe that the $61 price is for the 100ns units. They do not have any of
>them at present, only tthe 80ns ones.

	Nope.  Grobbins wrote me first, before posting his message.  I then
called PO.  Here is an excerpt of my return message to Grobbins, which
prompted his posting:

-----
	This concerned me.  So, I called.  The lady I talked to (didn't
get a name) told me that first, the price was only for 100ns SIMMS;
second, they were out of these; third, the ad was being discontinued
because of this; last, they just got them in today (Wed.), and because
of "the chip shortage", the price is now $64 for 100ns SIMMS.  When I
called on Monday, they didn't say anything about 100ns SIMMS, because
they were out.
-----

	So, basically, the price on 100ns SIMMS had been bumped up to $64.
He then wrote me back, telling me that the ad in MacWeek clearly stated
that the $61 price was for all speeds.  Call me overeager, but I didn't
want to bother with waiting for a resolution to this, so I took the 80ns
SIMMS for $66, and didn't complain.

  John Price                   | Internet: jprice@uclapp.physics.ucla.edu
  5-145 Knudsen Hall           | BITNET:   price@uclaph
  UCLA Dept. of Physics        | DECnet:   uclapp::jprice
  Los Angeles, CA  90024-1547  | YellNet:  213-825-2259
             Where there is no solution, there is no problem.

gphg1125@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Glenn P Hoetker) (03/13/90)

I recently purchased 70ns 1 meg SIMM's from PO for $69 each.  Excellent
service and reliable product.  I strongly recommend them.

glen hoetker

--
Glenn Hoetker
University of Illinois, Graduate School of Library and Information Science