[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac Plus Screen Completely Black

macak@lakesys.lakesys.com (James Macak) (03/11/90)

HELP!  I'm feeling a bit paranoid lately...

I installed another 2 Megs of RAM into my Mac Plus this week (bringing it to 4
Megs) and all seemingly went fine.  However, the next day, I came back into
the room to find my Mac's screen completely dark.  (No, it wasn't a screen
saver!)  I blindly moused around to no avail and then gave up and hit the
programmer's reset switch.

Reboot: Mac screen still black.  A sinking feeling....

I tapped the Mac case gently on the left side (near the front) and the screen
came back, looking quite normal.

A few more taps occasionally sent a brief shimmer of black across the screen,
but it didn't stay.  Today, all is well, so far...

I have _never_ noted any screen anomaly whatsoever before this... no screen
waver, shrinking or anything, as I have seen described when a power supply is
about to go.  I have used a Kensington System Saver fan on the Plus since day
one.

So, do I have a loose connection caused by "cracking" the Mac to install the
RAM?  Or is this another symptom of a power supply starting to go?  What
should I check?  (I have no electronic testing tools save for a volt-ohm meter.)

Thanks for any assistance!

Jim
macak@lakesys.lakesys.com (James Macak)

P.S.  Gee, a hardware article posted _only_ to comp.sys.mac.hardware... how
refreshing!    ;-)

--

macak@lakesys.lakesys.com (James Macak)     "I'm curious, Doctor, why is it
      << All my own opinions. >>              called 'M-5' and not 'M-1'?"

6600bike@hub.UUCP (Puneet Pasrich) (03/11/90)

From article <1737@lakesys.lakesys.com>, by macak@lakesys.lakesys.com (James Macak):
> HELP!  I'm feeling a bit paranoid lately...
>
> I installed another 2 Megs of RAM into my Mac Plus this week (bringing it to 4
> Megs) and all seemingly went fine.  However, the next day, I came back into
> the room to find my Mac's screen completely dark.

All you need to do is open up your Mac and make sure the power cable
going to the CRT is well-conected.  This happened to me, and a simple
tap fixed it.  Don't get zapped!
  |Puneet Pasrich  |  Internet:  6600bike@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu  |
  |Karate Kid      |  Bitnet:    6600bike@ucsbuxa.bitnet    |
  |'Just do it!'   |                                        |

psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) (03/13/90)

In article <4265@hub.UUCP> 6600bike@hub.UUCP (Puneet Pasrich) writes:
>From article <1737@lakesys.lakesys.com>, by macak@lakesys.lakesys.com (James Macak):
> HELP!  I'm feeling a bit paranoid lately...
>
> I installed another 2 Megs of RAM into my Mac Plus this week (bringing it to 4
> Megs) and all seemingly went fine.  However, the next day, I came back into
> the room to find my Mac's screen completely dark.

Did you check the brightness knob?  This is something that a lot of Mac user
miss.  You'll be amazed at what people do when you turn down their brightness.
They'll fiddle around with reboots, scream, and call their dealer, but never
bother to check the knob.