[net.columbia] Television coverage and other topics

msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) (01/31/86)

> Jeff Okamoto		..!ucbvax!okamoto
> Let's remember one thing before everybody else starts flaming about
> the callous news coverage by the networks (ie, the "elation-to-tears"
> of the crowd, etc, etc, ad nauseum).
>
> The ONLY video coming out from the launch site was NASA's official
> news feed.  So don't go blaming the networks for their supposed
> morbid curiosity of the crowd's bemoaning the loss of the Challenger.

Yes but NASA didn't show it over and over again.  The networks did
that.  One time when ABC was showing the video of Crista's
parents watching the launch, the tape went on the fritz just before
the tragedy, the picture cut back to Peter Jennings, who said
"we are having a problem with that tape.  That's probably a not
a bad thing."  Bravo!!

The idea that this accident might lead to cancellation of manned
space flight seems to have been proposed entirely by the media
who pushed the question relentlessly on everyone.   It's quite
absurd.  You might as well ask if we should stop manned aviation
every time an airliner crashes.

The most fundamental reason for continuing manned space exploration
is our economic future.  All economies on the world are based on
the idea of constant growth.  This is much too engrained to ever be
changed.  Since our planet Earth is a fixed resource we will someday
exceed its capacity.  The only way for essential economic growth to
continue is to move into space.  I was delighted to hear Senator
Garn touch on this question of resources though he didn't tie it
to enabling continued economic growth.

I am against renaming this group to net.challenger.  We shouldn't
dwell on tragedy.  We must grieve, pay our respects to those who
died and then look forward to the future.  I suggest that those
who support the renaming reconsider their choice after they are over
the emotional shock.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@saber.uucp,  sun!saber!msc@decwrl.dec.com ...{ihnp4,sun}!saber!msc

In article <1924@saber.UUCP> msc@saber.UUCP writes:

>Yes but NASA didn't show it over and over again.

This is not true.  At the U. of Md. library, we were receiving NASA's own
video transmission (which some people may have seen on cable).  What they
did for hours was simply to repeat a short announcement, then show that very
same videotape over again.  Every two and a half minutes, for hours.  Of
course, they didn't have Dan Rather eagerly pointing out the details.  This
is the one time I really missed Walter Cronkite at a launch.

C. Wingate