[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Screen Static

dresnick@athena.mit.edu (David I Resnick) (03/06/90)

   The screen on my Apple 13" color monitor serves as an excellent
dust collector.  The only remedy listed in the manual is to
occasionally wipe the screen with a rag onto which some window
cleaner has been sprayed.  Does anyone have a better solution?  Would
buying one of those anti-glare screens block this problem, or would
the dust just accumulate on it too?

Thanks in advance....

--
       David Resnick                           dresnick@athena.mit.edu

ldg@yoda.byu.edu (03/06/90)

In <1990Mar5.171819.11458@athena.mit.edu>, David I Resnick writes:

>The screen on my Apple 13" color monitor serves as an excellent
>dust collector.  The only remedy listed in the manual is to
>occasionally wipe the screen with a rag onto which some window
>cleaner has been sprayed.  Does anyone have a better solution?  Would
>buying one of those anti-glare screens block this problem, or would
>the dust just accumulate on it too?

You are not going to believe this. I remarked to my wife that the Mac SE
at work (left on all the time) had been collecting dust very quickly, and
needed to be wiped off daily. She remembered seeing something on one of
the morning TV shows (the Home show?) about the problem, and gave me the
solution: a used anti-static fabric softener sheet from the dryer!!

It works! I used it once, a month ago, and there is NO dust on the screen.
Not a speck. I have since tried it on several other CRTs, with the same
result. Should work on your screen, too.

What more could you ask for? It's free, it works, it's available anywhere
laundry gets done. The brand I have, BTW, is Downy. It even smells nice.

Lyle D. Gunderson  N6KSZ          CIS: 73760,2354     GEnie: L.GUNDERSON
ldg@yoda.byu.edu                "Any technology without some attendant risk
350 CB / BYU / Provo, UT 84602   of misuse is probably trivial"  --Louise Kohl

From: John Greenman <GREENMAN@MAINE.BITNET>
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: "CHINA RISING-The Meaning of Tienanmen"
Date: Monday, 5 Mar 1990 22:39:19 EST

I have just received a copy of a soon to be published book called
CHINA RISING The Meaning of Tienanmen, by Lee Feigon, professor of
Chinese history at Colby College, Waterville, ME. Publication date
is set for May 4th, 1990. Publisher is Ivan R. Dee, Inc., 1332
North Halsted Street, Chicago, IL 60622-2632. (312-787-6262).
The quote a press release on the book, "In blending his knowledge as a
scholar of Chinese history with his on-the-scene experiences in China,
Feigon has written a penetrating interpretation of events for the
American reader--the first book on the Tienanmen rising which
can clearly be called history, not journalism."..."Feigon uncovers
the previously ignored connection between student organizers
and high-level members of the Chinese Communist Party. These serious
Marxist stalwarts who began the demonstrations differed from the
younger "Woodstock generation" who dominated the media coverage and
the protests in their later stages. Those students who sought an
independent press, freer elections, and an end to bureaucraric corruption
were shoved aside by more radical students and eventually by
the party leadership."
I have NOT read this book yet, but it comes highly recommended from
an acquaintance who knows the author.
Feigon has written articles for the Wall Street Journal, the Atlantic,
the Nation, Barron's, and the Chicago Tribune. He is director of
the East Asian Studies program at Colby College, Waterville, Maine.
The book will be 288 pages with maps and will cost $19.95 hardbound.

From: Nicholas C. Hester <IA80024@MAINE.BITNET>
Newsgroups: sci.space.shuttle
Subject: Re: Challenger Last Words
Date: Monday, 5 Mar 1990 23:05:16 EST

A few months back an engineer from Morton THiokol stated that he believed that
the explosion of the Challenger was caused by premature detonation of the tank
jettison charges, caused, he theorized, by static build up and discharge.  Has
this been followed up?

-------
 Nicholas C. Hester
ia80024@Maine.Bitnet
ia80024@Maine.Maine.edu

psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) (03/06/90)

In article <1990Mar5.171819.11458@athena.mit.edu> dresnick@athena.mit.edu (David I Resnick) writes:

>   The screen on my Apple 13" color monitor serves as an excellent
>dust collector.  The only remedy listed in the manual is to
>occasionally wipe the screen with a rag onto which some window
>cleaner has been sprayed.  Does anyone have a better solution?  Would
>buying one of those anti-glare screens block this problem, or would
>the dust just accumulate on it too?

One easy solution is to get the antistatic sheets from your dryer, and wipe the
screen with it.  It should keep the static away for a while.

kam@dlogics.UUCP (Kevin Mitchell) (03/06/90)

In article <1990Mar5.171819.11458@athena.mit.edu>, dresnick@athena.mit.edu (David I Resnick) writes:

>    The screen on my Apple 13" color monitor serves as an excellent
> dust collector.  The only remedy listed in the manual is to
> occasionally wipe the screen with a rag onto which some window
> cleaner has been sprayed.  Does anyone have a better solution?  Would
[and so forth...]

I use a Kensington circular polarizer on my Mac+ (helps wonderfully, since
my Mac is in direct sunlight sometimes). Unfortunately, the electric field
from the screen causes the dust to stick to BOTH SIDES of the polarizer. I've
had some success with a special anti-static glass cleaner (safe for plastic)
that I found at a local electronics store (as in parts and service, not Radio
Shack). It still gets dusty, but not as fast.

--
Kevin A. Mitchell                (312) 266-4485
Datalogics, Inc                  Internet: kam@dlogics.UUCP

tejtemw@isis.educ.lon.ac.uk (EARL WILLIAMS) (03/08/90)

>In article <1990Mar5.171819.11458@athena.mit.edu>, dresnick@athena.mit.edu (David I Resnick) writes:
>>
>>    The screen on my Apple 13" color monitor serves as an excellent
>> dust collector.  The only remedy listed in the manual is to
>> occasionally wipe the screen with a rag onto which some window
>> cleaner has been sprayed.  Does anyone have a better solution?  Would
>[and so forth...]

Use a Koosh ball!  Koosh balls are those trendy colored balls made up of
many rubber strands.  They're great as pet substitutes, relatively safe
objects for throwing around the office, or desk ornaments.

What's more, they like dust even more than the Mac screen does!  A few
swipes across the screen with your Koosh ball and it's sparkling clean.

Who needs semi-permanent solutions like anti-static chemicals when you
can use a lovable, conversation-starting Koosh ball?  Mine lives on top of
my Mac permanently.  I wash it with soap and water every few months.

8-D,
--
Earl M. Williams            ?8^)    "No matter where you go, there you are."
Inst. of Education, U. of London                            -Buckaroo Banzai

david_islander_hughes@cup.portal.com (03/14/90)

Another solution is to use a fabric softener
tissue (like Bounce (r)) and just wipe the screen
and case with it.

This is NOT my original idea, I saw it on one of the
other subs recently.
Hafa Adai from Saipan