[comp.sys.mac.hardware] DiskTimer II times?

rrw@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) (03/13/90)

I recently was running some disk drive benchmarks using disktimer II, V1.0
and got the following:

             HD20SC       Wren Runner       Quantum 40
             (external)     (external)       (internal)

Reads          97             16                31
Writes         96             16                29
Access         33              5                 0

misc info  Seagate 225N   CDC 94181-15        P40S V9.6
                           V. 7980
Note that Reads is time for 100 24kb reads in deciseconds, Writes is
similar for write times, Access is time for 80 1kb seeks.

Misc Info is as reported by SCSI probe V2

Configuration MacIIci, 8 meg, cache off, no appletalk

Now, that Quantum access is fast, don't you think?

Can anyone make some suggestions as to why the seek times seem to be
somewhat off?

Thanks!

 "Reply" address frequently doesn't work, please use one of the below
  - Bob Wier                             Northern Arizona University
   summer:Ouray, Colorado                 winter:Flagstaff, Arizona
  Internet: rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu | BITNET: WIER@NAUVAX | WB5KXH
              or   ...arizona!naucse!rrw

ephraim@think.com (Ephraim Vishniac) (03/13/90)

In article <1944@naucse.UUCP> rrw@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) writes:
>I recently was running some disk drive benchmarks using disktimer II, V1.0
>and got the following:

>             HD20SC       Wren Runner       Quantum 40
>             (external)     (external)       (internal)
>Reads          97             16                31
>Writes         96             16                29
>Access         33              5                 0

>misc info  Seagate 225N   CDC 94181-15        P40S V9.6
>                           V. 7980
>Note that Reads is time for 100 24kb reads in deciseconds, Writes is
>similar for write times, Access is time for 80 1kb seeks.

>Now, that Quantum access is fast, don't you think?

>Can anyone make some suggestions as to why the seek times seem to be
>somewhat off?

* Don't accept benchmark results unless you know how the benchmark works. *

DiskTimer II is a very simple test.  It obtains the read (write) time
by repeatedly reading (writing) the same area of the disk.  It obtains
the seek time by alternately reading two sectors separated by some
fixed distance on the disk.

The big problem with these tests is that DiskTimer's trivially and
grossly deceived by caching.  The control panel cache isn't the
problem, since that applies to the file system, and DiskTimer II calls
the driver directly.  But, any cache implemented by the driver or
controller makes DiskTimer's results nearly meaningless.

So, a DiskTimer II seek time of "0" means that the driver or
controller is caching the two sectors involved in the seek test.

BTW, it looks like your HD 20 SC would benefit from formatting with a
tighter interleave.  Was it originally formatted on the IIci, or on a
slower machine?
--
Ephraim Vishniac    ephraim@think.com   ThinkingCorp@applelink.apple.com
 Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142

rrw@naucse.UUCP (Robert Wier) (03/14/90)

A followup note to my posting on using DiskTimer II:

Several people suggested I give SCSI evaluator a try, and here are the
results:

               Wren Runner     Quantum 40 meg        HD20SC
                 external         internal             external

access            12 ms             22 ms              70ms

read rate       12,600 kbits/s     5,000 kbits/s      1,000 kbits/s

supplemental information:

 Access times are not supposed to be affected by the machine to which the
drive is attached.  The 12 ms for the Wren Runner agrees nicely with the
advertised 10.5 ms.  The 70ms for the HD20SC is probably because it's
formatted with 3:1 interleave for use on a Plus (or is it just generally
a dog?).

Read rates for the Runner and Quantum were when connected to a MacIIci,
averaged over several runs.  The HD20SC is connected to a Mac SE.
(No wonder it seems slow in comparison to the ci with the Runner!)

Many thanks to those who responded to my message!