[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac Plus screen *mostly* black

smithw@physc1.byu.edu (03/13/90)

   I have a Mac+ at home and I've noticed just lately that on
 start up sometimes (maybe 10% of the time) about 80 to 90% of
the screen is dark except for a normally lighted strip down the
left hand side.  This weirdness goes away when the hard disk starts
to boot. There is not a definite line between the light and dark
parts of the screen, it sort of fuzzes into black.  Then yesterday
I was doing some word processing and suddenly this same thing happens
again.  It looks just like the screen is a dark room when someone
opens a door (at the left of the screen) and some light washes over
some of the objects in the room. Very strange.  Any one know what
is going on with this beast?  The machine has some 3rd party memory
which I installed myself some time ago (about 8months back) and
a 40 meg external Nova disk.  No 3rd party DA's except for a screen
saver (MOIRE?) Help!

Bill Smith
smithw@mathnx.byu.edu
smithw@physc1.byu.edu

prg@bonnie.ATT.COM (Paul R. Gloudemans) (03/14/90)

In article <49smithw@physc1.byu.edu>, smithw@physc1.byu.edu writes:

>    I have a Mac+ at home and I've noticed just lately that on
>  start up sometimes (maybe 10% of the time) about 80 to 90% of
> the screen is dark except for a normally lighted strip down the
> left hand side.  This weirdness goes away when the hard disk starts
> to boot. There is not a definite line between the light and dark
> parts of the screen, it sort of fuzzes into black.  Then yesterday
> I was doing some word processing and suddenly this same thing happens
> again.  It looks just like the screen is a dark room when someone
> opens a door (at the left of the screen) and some light washes over
> some of the objects in the room. Very strange.  Any one know what
> is going on with this beast?  . . .

I had this same EXACT problem.  It occurrred only in the winter
months (shrinking due to lack of moisture in air?).  Anyway, I
upgraded to 4 Meg memory 12/89 and took the opportunity at that time
to reseat the connectors on the Analog Board.  The problem has not
occurred since.  You might give this a try.

Two other friends have also had Mac+ screen problems, although not exactly
the same symptoms, that have been cured by reseating the connectors.
--
---
Paul R. Gloudemans       prg@bonnie.ATT.COM