[comp.sys.mac.hardware] ??Internal SE/30 color monitor??

watermaa@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WATERMAN ALEXANDER S) (03/13/90)

I seem to be posting mess. like crazy - but...
I have access to a 9 inch color analog monitor.  Is it remotely possible
to put a color board inside my SE/30 and be able to drive this?
(considering that I have boosted the output of the powersupply)

Hmmmm?!

Kent Leung
Internet watermaa@boulder.colorado.edu

philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (03/14/90)

In article <18158@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, watermaa@boulder.Colorado.EDU
(WATERMAN ALEXANDER S) writes:
> I seem to be posting mess. like crazy - but...
> I have access to a 9 inch color analog monitor.  Is it remotely possible
> to put a color board inside my SE/30 and be able to drive this?
> (considering that I have boosted the output of the powersupply)
>
> Hmmmm?!

Is it remotely possible that Apple might produce a colour SE/30?

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

kanefsky@cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) (03/14/90)

In article <1990Mar13.191314.15669@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>In article <18158@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, watermaa@boulder.Colorado.EDU
>(WATERMAN ALEXANDER S) writes:
>> I seem to be posting mess. like crazy - but...
>> I have access to a 9 inch color analog monitor.  Is it remotely possible
>> to put a color board inside my SE/30 and be able to drive this?
>> (considering that I have boosted the output of the powersupply)
>>
>> Hmmmm?!
>>
>Is it remotely possible that Apple might produce a colour SE/30?

The SE/30 is every bit as much of a color machine as a Mac II.  In other
words, it has Color Quickdraw built into ROM, and in each cases you must
purchase a separate color monitor and video card to display color.  The
only difference is that the SE/30 comes with a "free" 9-inch built-in
monochrome monitor.

Many if not most third-party developers have SE/30 versions of their
video cards to go with their color monitors.  The most notable exception
is of course Apple.  There are third-party video cards available to
work with Apple's color monitor, though, including a 24-bit color card
from RasterOps.

--
Steve Kanefsky
kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

watermaa@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WATERMAN ALEXANDER S) (03/14/90)

've been getting quite a few responses about my question concerning the use
of a 9 inch color analog monitor with an SE/30

I don't think I worded the question right though.

I have access to a 9" color analog and was wondering if it was possible to
replace the b/w monitor that is present in my SE/30 and plug in some color
board so I can get a "transportable" color SE/30

Any feedback?

Thanks!!!

Kent Leung
Internet: watermaa@boulder.colorado.edu (posted courtesy of A. Waterman)

(If you happen to see this in comp.sys.mac, I accidently put it there - sorry!)

philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (03/15/90)

In article <1990Mar13.210213.11794@cs.umn.edu>, kanefsky@cs.umn.edu
(Steve Kanefsky) writes:
> >Is it remotely possible that Apple might produce a colour SE/30?
>
> The SE/30 is every bit as much of a color machine as a Mac II.  In other
> words, it has Color Quickdraw built into ROM, and in each cases you must
> purchase a separate color monitor and video card to display color.  The
> only difference is that the SE/30 comes with a "free" 9-inch built-in
> monochrome monitor.

Sorry if I did not make this clear (I thought the Subject was obvious). I
*know* about adding external monitors. I meant an *internal* colour (or,
for that matter, grey-scale) monitor.

kanefsky@cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) (03/15/90)

In article <1990Mar14.180256.25674@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>In article <1990Mar13.210213.11794@cs.umn.edu>, kanefsky@cs.umn.edu
>(Steve Kanefsky) writes:
>> >Is it remotely possible that Apple might produce a colour SE/30?
>>
>> The SE/30 is every bit as much of a color machine as a Mac II.  In other
>> words, it has Color Quickdraw built into ROM, and in each cases you must
>> purchase a separate color monitor and video card to display color.  The
>> only difference is that the SE/30 comes with a "free" 9-inch built-in
>> monochrome monitor.
>
>Sorry if I did not make this clear (I thought the Subject was obvious). I
>*know* about adding external monitors. I meant an *internal* colour (or,
>for that matter, grey-scale) monitor.

Well, I figured that was what you meant, but I just wanted to clear up
any confusion some people may have had regarding the color capabilities
of an SE/30.  I don't doubt that a lot of people would have bought SE/30's
instead of IIcx's if they knew that in many cases you can get an equivalent
system (except for NuBus) for a lot less.

Anyway, I feel that moving towards more modular Macintosh systems would
be preferable to trying to cram a color monitor and related circuitry
inside an SE/30.  I don't want to be locked into a particular configuration
like that.  Having a cheap monochrome monitor thrown in is one thing, but
if I'm going to pay for color, I want to be able to choose the type and
size of monitor/video card I want.  I also like the idea of having the cpu
and/or hard disk just be a "box" that I can stick somewhere and (almost)
forget about, which is one of the design philosophies behind the NeXT cube.
I like the way Apple put ADB ports in their portrait display, so you can
plug your keyboard and mouse in the back and then run a cable back to the
box, avoiding the clutter of extra wires running to the box and allowing
a greater distance between the monitor and the box.  Are there any other
monitors that have this?

--
Steve Kanefsky
kanefsky@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu