[net.columbia] Ejection seats -- calm down.

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (02/02/86)

In article <2612@ukma.UUCP> sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) writes:
>In article <667@ihwpt.UUCP> gjl@ihwpt.UUCP (g licitis) writes:
>>The news people should stick to reporting the news and not to try
>>to second guess NASA engineers.  10 to 1 they will have ejection seats
>>on the next shuttle.
>
>Your second sentence contradicts your first.  Think about the implications
>of ejection seats:
>
>	/* LOTS MORE GOOD REASONS FOR NO EJECTION SEATS, FLAMES, ETC. */

OK, let's not go overboard -- let's all try to read entire articles in context
before flaming!  What gjl@ihwpt.UUCP meant, if you read the entire article,
was that because of all the attention given to the ejection seat issue by
the Marching Morons (news media); pressure from an ill-informed public would
probably be so high that NASA would put in ejection seats on the shuttle just
to shut them up and get out of the "limelight".  Even the last sentence
was slightly tongue-in-cheek when taken in context of the entire article.

Except for *very* blatant boo-boos without any context allowing them to be
read in a different light no matter how you look at them, let's try to be
a little more tolerant.  A good rule of thumb is to edit your reply, escape
to a shell (assuming Unix because I'm lazy), and wait 1/2 hour before going
back into the editor and making sure that is exactly what you wish to send.

I know, I know, I don't always do it either; but I try!

Just in case anyone missed it, late last night NASA released more footage
of Challenger showing a "mysterious plume" of flame erupting from the
lower part of the right-hand SRB -- this plume could easily have acted as
a 6000F degree blowtorch right on the thin external tank.  Someone here
suggested this to me only 1/2 hour after the explosion, but later reports
from everywhere seemed to discount the SRBs as a potential cause -- up til
now, that is.

More as we hear it, and thanks for your time on the above,
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj