[net.columbia] Small Green Canister

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (01/30/86)

I think we've all been deeply touched.

The paper today mentioned that people are being urged not to touch
possible debris from the Challanger.  One of the reports was about
a "small green canister" that was supposed to be deadly.  "You'd
be dead in about 2 seconds" if you touched it.

What the hell could that be?  Or is it just media hype or a story
circulated to make sure people don't tamper with possible important
evidence?
--

                                     Sue Brezden
                                     ihnp4!drutx!slb

      To search for perfection is all very well,
      But to look for heaven is to live here in hell.
                                       --Sting

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (01/31/86)

In article <413@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
>The paper today mentioned that people are being urged not to touch
>possible debris from the Challanger.  One of the reports was about
>a "small green canister" that was supposed to be deadly.  "You'd
>be dead in about 2 seconds" if you touched it.
>
>What the hell could that be?  Or is it just media hype or a story
>circulated to make sure people don't tamper with possible important
>evidence?
>--
My thoughts are, in order of percieved likelihood:

1) Nasty chemicals to be used on one of the experiments, or
2) a waterproof casing containing the "black box" flight recorder that
   they don't want people to touch for obvious reasons.
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj

yee@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (Peter E. Yee) (02/02/86)

In article <413@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:
>The paper today mentioned that people are being urged not to touch
>possible debris from the Challanger.  One of the reports was about
>a "small green canister" that was supposed to be deadly.  "You'd
>be dead in about 2 seconds" if you touched it.
>
>What the hell could that be?  Or is it just media hype or a story
>circulated to make sure people don't tamper with possible important
>evidence?
>--
>
>                                     Sue Brezden
>                                     ihnp4!drutx!slb

From New York Times (Friday, January 31, 1986):

Souvenir Hunters Warned of Toxic Shuttle Debris

	By Malcolm Browne

	Space agency and Coast Guard officials have issued warnings that
souvenir hunters face severe  burns or death if they should happen touch
some of the debris from the space shuttle Challenger washing ashore from
the Atlantic Ocean

	In particular,  officials of the  National Aeronautics and Space
Administration warned  beachcombers about  cylindrical green  tanks with
hemispheric ends, 96 inches long and 49 inches in diameter. According to
Gatha F. Cottee, a spokesmen at Kennedy Space Center, intact green tanks
or fragments  of tanks  might be  contaminated by  the rocket  fuel with
which the tanks were  filled when the space  shuttle Challenger exploded
on Tuesday.

	The officials advised anyone coming  on such debris not to touch
it and to immediately notify the authorities.

	The four  titanium fuel tanks  involved contained  two violently
reactive chemicals.  When mixed together  the chemicals explode spontan-
eously, even with external ignition.  The two liquids, collectively des-
ignated  hypergolic fuel,  are carried  in  comparatively  small amounts
aboard shuttle missions and are used  to power small maneuvering rockets
after the spaceship reaches orbit.

	Fuel and Oxidizing Agent

	The maneuvering  rockets with  hypergolic fuel are  also used at
the end of each mission to slow down the orbiter so it re-enters the at-
mosphere.

	All rocket propulsion systems  require two types of ingredients:
a fuel and an oxiding  agent to burn the fuel.  The oxygen in air is it-
self an oxidizing agent,  but it is not  nearly concentrated or reactive
enough to fuel a spacecraft. In the hypergolic system, the fuel consists
of a clear liquid called  monomethylhydrazine, whose chemical formula is
CH6N2, a powerfully reactive substance  that can  cause intense  caustic
burns on  the skin and  is also a poison  that particularly  affects the
liver.

	Far more dangerous is the  hypergolic oxidizer, liquid nitrogen
tetroxide, N2O4.  Nitrogen tetroxide  is so exotic a  substance that it
is not even listed in The Merck Index, a standard reference volume that
summarizes the properties and toxicity of thousands of compounds.

	However, nitrogen tetroxide  violently oxidizes  almost any or-
ganic substance it touches, including skin and all other human tissues.
The burns it causes are  instantaneous and likely  to be quickly fatal.
Nitrogen tetroxide is also  a strong poison, even in very small quanti-
ties.

	Space center  workers  must  observe  special  precautions when
hypergolic fuels are loaded on each shuttle, and those not required for
the operation are cleared from the launching pad area.

	No hypergolic fuel had been  consumed by the shuttle at time it
blew up,  and it tanks were therefore  presumably full,  at least until
they were separated from the ship or ruptured.  When a Coast Guard cut-
ter unloaded it collection of debris at the dock yesterday, several ob-
jects shown in photographs looked as if they might have been hypergolic
fuel tanks or associated equipment.

	Mr. Cottee said  the agency  was not aware  of any other debris
constituting a hazard in any way comparable to that posed by the hyper-
golic fuel tanks.  He said the shuttle  had carried nothing its payload
bay that posed any particular danger.

	The amount of hypergolic fuel that might have survived the des-
truction  of the  shuttle and  many hours  in the ocean  was not known.
Clearly, dilution  of the chemicals  by sea water would  quickly reduce
the danger they posed.  Although debris from the fuel tanks might still
be contaminated, it did not  seem likely that the sea water along could
have been contaminated enough to endanger people or fish.

	But NASA and other interested agencies  have stressed that even
the smallest particle  of debris from the  shuttle could play a pivotal
role in the  investigation of the accident,  and anyone finding shuttle
material is urged to leave it alone.

[The article continues with some accusations from the Soviets and some
information about problems with Cosmos satellites.]

/* Reprinted without permission of the publisher in the interest of
** public dissemination of this information.
*/

					-Peter Yee
					..ucbvax!yee
					yee@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU

bjb@nvzg2.UUCP (Bernie Brown) (02/02/86)

> I think we've all been deeply touched.

If only 'deeply' were a strong enough word.

> The paper today mentioned that people are being urged not to touch
> possible debris from the Challanger.

Or keep it. First, *all* of the debris is needed for the investigation.
Second, it's a federal crime to keep it.

>  One of the reports was about
> a "small green canister" that was supposed to be deadly.  "You'd
> be dead in about 2 seconds" if you touched it.
>
> What the hell could that be?  Or is it just media hype or a story
> circulated to make sure people don't tamper with possible important
> evidence?

From what the Coast Guard people who are working the salvage operation
stated, it was apparently a *miscommunication*.  There is the possibility
of canisters of volatile (sp?) chemicals being found but nothing that fatal.
(As you can see from the signature, I'm near Orlando, FL.  If there's any
really urgent news, I'll try to get it to the net, if the boss doesn't have
other plans.)

Keep the Dream Alive.

--
Bernie Brown (AT&T-IS, Altamonte Springs, FL)
UUCP ...!ihnp4!codas!nvzg2!bjb

kenny@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (02/02/86)

/* Written  8:54 am  Jan 30, 1986 by slb@drutx.UUCP in uiucdcsb:net.columbia */
[ ... ]
The paper today mentioned that people are being urged not to touch
possible debris from the Challanger.  One of the reports was about
a "small green canister" that was supposed to be deadly.  "You'd
be dead in about 2 seconds" if you touched it.

What the hell could that be?
[ ... ]
                                     Sue Brezden
                                     ihnp4!drutx!slb
/* End of text from uiucdcsb:net.columbia */

Possibly an SRB separation motor.  Those things are explosive bolts designed
to blow the SRB's clear of the spacecraft, both during normal SRB-sep and in
the event of an emergency jettisoning of the SRB's.  I seem to recall
reading somewhere that they have enough punch to blow through a six-inch
reinforced concrete wall; not something I'd want to pick up with bare hands.

k**2

Kevin Kenny
UUCP: {ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!kenny
CSNET:	kenny@UIUC.CSNET
ARPA:	kenny@B.CS.UIUC.EDU	(kenny@UIUC.ARPA)

"Yes, understanding today's complex world is a bit like having bees live in
your head, but there they are."