[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 25 pin SCSI terminators

jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) (03/14/90)

A couple of weeks ago, soemone mentioned that one of the companies that
sells hard disks were selling 25 pin SCSI terminators. Now that my
roomate need a 25 pin terminator, the article has expired.

Could someone please send the name of the company that is selling the
terminators?

Thanks,

Jeff

--
| RIT VAX/VMS Systems: |     Jeff Wasilko     |     RIT Ultrix Systems:     |
|BITNET: jjw7384@ritvax+----------------------+INET:jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu|
|INTERNET: jjw7384@isc.rit.edu                |'claimer: No one cares.      |

wiseman@tellab5.tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (03/17/90)

In article <2432@ultb.isc.rit.edu> jjw7384@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) writes:

>A couple of weeks ago, soemone mentioned that one of the companies that
>sells hard disks were selling 25 pin SCSI terminators. Now that my
>roomate need a 25 pin terminator, the article has expired.
>
>Could someone please send the name of the company that is selling the
>terminators?

From my archives comes the following:

>From: rrkasegu@athena.mit.edu (Rick R. Kaseguma)
>
>One (somewhat unusual?) place that has 25-pin terminators is GW Instruments.
>They make NuBus and SCSI Data Acquisition products for the Macintosh, and
>use the DB-25 style SCSI cables.  Presumably they're wired the same as
>LaCie's.
>
>I'm not sure of the price; I only worked there as a software engineer last
>summer.  Anyone seen their SoftPanel easy-to-use data acquisition program?
>
>Their address is: GW Instruments, 35 Medford Street, Somerville, MA 02143
>(617) 625-4096

I phoned this place and they kindly sent me a catalog. Sure enough, there were
the 25 pin terminators. Comments follow:

1. I have the IMPRESSION that these are "end of the line" terminators. ie. you
can't put one between your mac and your first drive (directly).
They look like a RS-232 loopback plug, ie a RS-232 cable end plug without
the cable.

2. They were somewhere between $35 and $55 (I can't remember which since I
loaned the book to a friend). All I remember is that It was too expnsive for my
budget so I will not be getting any.

3. The terminator in a RS-232 plug gave me an idea. I'm going to make my own.
All you need is a DB-25 type connector and sheild and (I think) two SIP
resistors of the correct value. Using some small lengths of wire, solder the
SIPS to the connector, wrap in electric tape (hacky but effective), and screw
on the shield.

Since we are allowed to have small components from work for free, this seems
like a feasable approach. Any other ideas?

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM