[comp.sys.mac.hardware] accelerators for plusses

chn@lanl.gov (Charles Neil) (03/03/90)

To my mild surprise, I found no mail order house offering accelerator
boards for Mac Plusses (SE's yes, but not for Plusses) when I checked
last week.  Does anyone know of a source for such upgrades?
--

Charlie Neil (chn@lanl.gov)
Los Alamos National Laboratory (505) 665-0978

macak@lakesys.lakesys.com (James Macak) (03/12/90)

In article <44973@lanl.gov> chn@lanl.gov (Charles Neil) writes:
>To my mild surprise, I found no mail order house offering accelerator
>boards for Mac Plusses (SE's yes, but not for Plusses) when I checked
>last week.  Does anyone know of a source for such upgrades?

>Charlie Neil (chn@lanl.gov)
>Los Alamos National Laboratory (505) 665-0978

I'm interested in accelerators for the Mac Plus also, and I bet there are
quite a few Plus owners out there with the same interests.

So, could respondents please post articles here rather than mail responses?
Also, please comment on experiences you may have had with Mac Plus
accelerators.  I am concerned with compatibility issues... does the
accelerator work with all your software?  Any inexpensive mail order sources
for such accelerators?

Also, I would be considering one of the less expensive accelerators (e.g. a
16MHz 68000 as opposed to a 68020 or 68030, since I'm trying to get a bit more
"power" without spending a lot.  So please also address these options.

Thanks.

Jim
macak@lakesys.lakesys.com (James Macak)

--

macak@lakesys.lakesys.com (James Macak)     "I'm curious, Doctor, why is it
      << All my own opinions. >>              called 'M-5' and not 'M-1'?"

philr@knecht.Sun.COM (Phil Robar) (03/14/90)

chn@lanl.gov (Charles Neil) writes:

>To my mild surprise, I found no mail order house offering accelerator
>boards for Mac Plusses (SE's yes, but not for Plusses) when I checked
>last week.  Does anyone know of a source for such upgrades?
>--
>
>Charlie Neil (chn@lanl.gov)
>Los Alamos National Laboratory (505) 665-0978

I have been using a NOVY MX20(?) accelerator in my 512KE for two years
now. Highly recommended.

Features, off the top of my head.

68020 running at >=12mhz, price is based on speed and memory costs.
(They upgraded me from 12 to 16 for $100 last summer.)
(I'd get it with 0 ram and install my own.)
Socket for 68881
Room for 4 megs on the board.
Selectable wait states base on processor and memory speeds.
Supports a large screen. (I don't remember which one though.)
I think it can be upgraded to use a 68030, but don't quote me on that.
(They do sell a 68030 board.)

Software allows you to disable the processor's cache.
Use a HD20 (serial drive) or SCSI drive.
Trap SANE calls and redirect them to the 68881.
Sounds continue to work correctly.
Disable slower motherboard ram, use it as a ram disk, copy ROMS to it,
or use as normal system ram.

When it first came out it was rated as one of the best by MacUser.
Their most recent review (within the last year?) moved it down a notch
but I didn't agree completely with their criteria.

You are most likely to see their products in the retail market under
the DayStar name.

Novy, 904-427-2358 (In Florida).

Philip Robar, MTS
Window Systems Performance and Reliability
Sun Microsystems, MS 14-40, 2550 Garcia Ave., Mt. View, CA. 94043

philr@knecht.Sun.COM (Phil Robar) (03/14/90)

chn@lanl.gov (Charles Neil) writes:

>To my mild surprise, I found no mail order house offering accelerator
>boards for Mac Plusses (SE's yes, but not for Plusses) when I checked
>last week.  Does anyone know of a source for such upgrades?
>--
>
>Charlie Neil (chn@lanl.gov)
>Los Alamos National Laboratory (505) 665-0978

I have been using a NOVY MX20(?) accelerator in my 512KE for two years
now. Highly recommended.

Features, off the top of my head.

68020 running at >=12mhz, price is based on speed and memory costs.
(They upgraded me from 12 to 16 for $100 last summer.)
(I'd get it with 0 ram and install my own.)
Socket for 68881
Room for 4 megs on the board.
Selectable wait states base on processor and memory speeds.
Supports a large screen. (I don't remember which one though.)
I think it can be upgraded to use a 68030, but don't quote me on that.
(They do sell a 68030 board.)

Software allows you to disable the processor's cache.
Use a HD20 (serial drive) or SCSI drive.
Trap SANE calls and redirect them to the 68881.
Sounds continue to work correctly.
Disable slower motherboard ram, use it as a ram disk, copy ROMS to it,
or use as normal system ram.

When it first came out it was rated as one of the best by MacUser.
Their most recent review (within the last year?) moved it down a notch
but I didn't agree completely with their criteria.

You are most likely to see their products in the retail market under
the DayStar name.

Novy, 904-427-2358 (In Florida).
Philip Robar, MTS, Sun Microsystems

philr@eng.sun.com, philr%eng@sun.com
..!{ucbvax,decwrl,decvax,seismo,hplabs}!sun!knecht.eng!philr

beall@nunki.usc.edu (Judith Beall) (03/18/90)

Mac Zone advertises that Gemini accelerators, and also a GemKit, which says
that it allows 020/030 accelerators in Mac+, 512kE, 512k, 128k.
"Includes internal fan, SCSI port, and space for extra RAM memory..."
The price for this GemKit is $149 and you still have to buy the accelerator...

I know nothing about this product except what I just read out of MacUser...