[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Hayes V.42 9600 bps modem

watermaa@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WATERMAN ALEXANDER S) (03/13/90)

And yet another question - Has anyone used a Hayes V series 9600 modem?

Lately, I've been seeing these modems for around $700-750.  Seems a bargain
for a HAYES which does MNP-5 with a theoretical throughput of 19,200 bps

Any info would be appreciated !!!!

Kent Leung
Internet:   watermaa@boulder.colorado.edu

Jerry.Bono@p23.f22.n282.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jerry Bono) (03/19/90)

In a message to All [14 Mar 90 06:30:00] WATERMAN ALEXANDER S wrote:
  >Has anyone used a Hayes V series 9600 modem?
  >Lately, I've been seeing these modems for around $700-750.  Seems a bargain
  >for a HAYES which does MNP-5 with a theoretical throughput of 19,200 bps
  >Any info would be appreciated !!!!

      I have a Hayes V series 9600...It is useful at 1200-2400 baud for
calling any modems, and at 9600 baud for calling only other Hayes V
series 9600 baud modems. For me, some of my clients have these modems,
so its usefulness is not a problem. For others who might be considering
purchase, be forewarned that the V.42/V.32 capabilities of the Hayes V
series modems are not standard...you can only talk to other Hayes V
series modems at the high speeds, everybody else comes through at
1200-2400.

--
Jerry Bono - via FidoNet node 1:282/33
UUCP: ...!uunet!imagery!22.23!Jerry.Bono