[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Jasmine Drive Dies

toml@voodoo.UUCP (Tom Locke) (02/27/90)

Can anyone tell me what might have went wrong with my Jasmine hard disk 45?
Yesterday when I tried to boot up the drive, it 'click' six times and stopped.
The fan was on but the drive did not spin at all. I bought this drive last
year and the drive machanic is made by Rodime.

Any clue to this phenomenon?  Thanks very much!

Tom Locke (toml@voodoo.UUCP) 206-234-6316
--
Tom Locke                                (206) 234-6316 (wk)
Boeing Computer Services    ....uw-beaver!ssc-vax!voodoo!toml

toml@voodoo.UUCP (Tom Locke) writes:

>Can anyone tell me what might have went wrong with my Jasmine hard disk 45?

Could it be that someone mentioned that Jasmine went chapter 11 within
earshot of the drive?

chuq (I really shouldn't make fun at someone's expense, but...)
--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

All spirits are enslaved which serve things evil -- Shelley

dmr@csli.Stanford.EDU (Daniel M. Rosenberg) (03/17/90)

chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

>toml@voodoo.UUCP (Tom Locke) writes:

>>Can anyone tell me what might have went wrong with my Jasmine hard disk 45?
>Could it be that someone mentioned that Jasmine went chapter 11 within
>earshot of the drive?

Your Jasmine 45 drive did what just about every other one did: it broke.
(Technical details not necessary; just know that, for a long period,
Jasmine was shipping faulty drives.)

Ours broke twice. Jasmine replaced our first one quickly, but have had
our last one since this past fall. Today, Karen (415 282 1111 x679
I think) called up and said "Since our shipping department is so slow,
we are calling our Bay Area customers to ask them if they want to
pick up the drive."

So I made my way to 1740 Army Street in a borrowed car with a friend
of mine looking for a way to blow off finals, and picked up my drive
at the security guard's desk just before he was about to leave.

Out front, there was a moving van, loading up the company's stuff.
Bye-bye Jasmine -- nice knowing ya.

--
# Daniel M. Rosenberg     //  Stanford CSLI  // Eat my opinions, not Stanford's.
# dmr@csli.stanford.edu  // decwrl!csli!dmr // dmr%csli@stanford.bitnet

tbutler@wpi.wpi.edu (Tim Butler) (03/19/90)

In article <39554@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>   toml@voodoo.UUCP (Tom Locke) writes:
>
>Can anyone tell me what might have went wrong with my Jasmine hard disk 45?
>
>   Could it be that someone mentioned that Jasmine went chapter 11 within
>   earshot of the drive?
>
>   chuq (I really shouldn't make fun at someone's expense, but...)

    On a similar note: In the current MacWorld there was a small
test/comparison of three different c.100 meg drives. Jasmine's drive was a
few hundred dollars cheaper, and had 130 meg formatted capacity vs. the other
two drives which had 100 meg. But the author went to the trouble to "test" the
product support of the three companies. Jasmine's support was so terrible that
the reviewer rated the drive unacceptable. He called the three manufacturers
and asked them what I assumed were ordinary technical support questions.
Jasmine put him on hold forever, then when he called back and asked to talk
to a technician, they told him that they were all busy, but that they would
have someone return his call. And we know what happened to that.

   It would seem that more companies would realize that support and reputation
are an important investment. Maybe Apple's warrantee is the first sign of them
turning around. Let's all hope so.

-tim
Tim Butler		(tbutler@wpi.wpi.edu)
Teaching Assistant	HL 103b  ext.5424
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Worcester Polytechnic Institute

tbutler@wpi.wpi.edu (Tim Butler) writes:

>   It would seem that more companies would realize that support and reputation
>are an important investment. Maybe Apple's warrantee is the first sign of them
>turning around. Let's all hope so.

Considering the number of one, two and longer warranties that already exist,
I definitely don't think the new Apple warranty (much as I'm thrilled we
finally got it out the door) can be considered a 'first sign' or that Apple
is a leading edge in this. On the other hand, hopefully it'll be a sign to
everyone else that they can't ignore it any longer, either.