[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SE/30 with

paul@aucs.uucp (Paul Steele) (03/15/90)

A few months ago there were a lot of rumors about the 40 MB disk in
the Mac SE/30 having problems due to too much lubrication on the spindle
motor (or something like that).  The fix that I heard about was a ROM
uprade that removed the problems but made the disk very slow.  Do
new Mac SE/30's have this ROM-fixed drive, or has the disk been replaced
with a good working drive?  Also, what is the average access time of
the 40 MB hard disk?  A prof here is planning on getting the SE/30
and is debating on the internal 40 MB disk or an external third party
disk. Any rumors/info would be greatly appreciated.

--
Paul H. Steele    UUCP:     {uunet|watmath|utai}!cs.dal.ca!aucs!Paul
Acadia University BITNET:   Paul@Acadia  or  PHS@Acadia (preferred)

kudlacek@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/18/90)

In article <1990Mar15.145401.17551@aucs.uucp>, paul@aucs.uucp (Paul Steele) writes:
> A few months ago there were a lot of rumors about the 40 MB disk in
> the Mac SE/30 having problems due to too much lubrication on the spindle
> motor (or something like that).  The fix that I heard about was a ROM
> uprade that removed the problems but made the disk very slow.

The actual problem was that these drives were sticking and not
getting enough torque at startup to move the heads... The ROM fix
increases a voltage (or current?) to give the stepper motor more
uumph. Additionally, the ROM invokes a periodic head sweep during
normal operation to keep the lubricant slippery. Neat idea huh!

IN%"KUDLACEK@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU"
The Unversity of Kansas - we invented basketball!

philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (03/20/90)

In article <22519.2602bdeb@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>,
kudlacek@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

> The actual problem was that these drives were sticking and not
> getting enough torque at startup to move the heads... The ROM fix
> increases a voltage (or current?) to give the stepper motor more
> uumph. Additionally, the ROM invokes a periodic head sweep during
> normal operation to keep the lubricant slippery. Neat idea huh!

I've often wondered why my Mac would every now and then do a disk access
when it was supposed to be idle. Could this be the reason (I'm not only talking
about Apple HDs here: I've also had this with a Quantum 105M).

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu