[comp.sys.mac.hardware] WARNING: Jasmine top execs leave; Chapter 11 rumored, says MacWeek

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (03/15/90)

Well, I guess the subject says it all: two top executives resigned from Jasmine
this week (I think it was the President and a VP).  According to MacWeek,
Jasmine is said to be looking for sources of funding and is rumored to be
considering Chapter 11.  Also, according to MacWeek, no drives have shipped in
the last month.

Can you say "belly up"?  I wonder where this will leave owners of Jasmine disks
(like myself) if they do go the Chapter 11 route.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (03/15/90)

In article <8057@tank.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>Well, I guess the subject says it all: two top executives resigned Jasmine
> According to MacWeek,
>Jasmine is said to be looking for sources of funding and is rumored to be
>considering Chapter 11.

 According to a friend to has several drives in for repair, it is
official, they be in chapter 11.  They weren't answering the phones
for several weeks, now are only to tell people they are in chapt 11.
Bye now.
al

isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu ( ISR group account) (03/16/90)

I called them, and after going thru my usual sneakiness of direct
dialling all the extensions of Tech Support/ RMA people I've managed
to learn one or another, and finding them all to HAVE NO ANSWER!!,
I switched to corporate sales, (so I could have them put a handwritten
note on the tech support person's desk [anything but the voicemail]),
only then to have the phone answered by a person who indeed told me they are
in Chap 11 re-organization, ~70% of staff are gone, and that currently
there are two possible sources of funding they are talking with. The
offices will be closed except for giving out this message until the
last week of march. They don't know when repair's may or may not get
going, but they will have staff availible so that if you want your drive
shipped back to you (for Mirror-fixing) they'll accomadate that.
(I brought this up, not her)
  The person I spoke to seemed actually qquite releived now that they
were allowed to give out some information instead of the previous
Jasmine-2weeks-babble.
Mike

--
Mike Schechter, Computer Engineer,Institute Sensory Research, Syracuse Univ.
InterNet: isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu   Bitnet: SENSORY@SUNRISE

kenney@hsi.UUCP (Brian Kenney) (03/16/90)

I want to thank CSM for all the info about Jasmine.  I nearly ordered
one two weeks ago, but after reading all the bad things about them, I
went with La Cie.  One question:  If I had payed Jasmine for the drive
and they folded, would I have any way of getting my money back?  Or does
Chapter 11 protect them?

--bri

--
 Brian Kenney                                             ...!uunet!hsi!kenney
 Health Systems International                                  kenney@hsi.com

rd_francis@morganucodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (03/21/90)

In article <2459@rodan.acs.syr.edu> isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michael S. Schechter - ISR group account) writes:
>... if you want your drive
>shipped back to you (for Mirror-fixing)...

This rings a bell; I think I recall someone mentioning a place that
would repair almost any hard drive.  If this place will repair Jasmine
HD, I would appreciate it if someone could send me details, address,
and phone #.  We have a couple of people who have Jasmine hard drives
and who may need them repaired.

Interesting aside to this:  we sent in a Jasmine 20M HD around Jan.
21, 1990 (hmmm, nornally I wouldn't feel constrained to include a year
here, oh well:-), and hadn't gotten it back yet.  Someone in our
department who is good at that sort of things called Jasmine and
bitched until they agreed to fix the drive ans send it back to us.  We
got it on Mar. 9, 1990, shortly before the bankruptcy announcement.  I
thank the fellow here who talked our drive (fixed, even) out of them
profusely.

-=-
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu