[comp.sys.mac.hardware] want advice re 512KE upgrade

jae@uncecs.edu (Jeff Ersoff) (03/20/90)

We want to upgrade a 512KE to a 2meg SCSI machine. We could pay our local Apple
dealer $800 to make it a 2 meg Plus, $680 for a Dove upgrade or send the logic
board to Peripheral Outlet to be upgraded for $475 (including local labor).

Do you have any recommendations? Any other alternatives to suggest?
Please send e-mail.
--
Jeff Ersoff
Math & Computer Sci., Salem College, Winston-Salem, NC 27108

yossie@marque.mu.edu (03/20/90)

A local dealer I called a few days ago will sell the motherboard for $480.
The memory to make the new MacPlus a 2.5M machine will cost another $120 or
so.  If you add that up, and compare to me macWarehouse Dove 2M+SCSI upgrade
price which is $499, you pay another $100 to have a REAL MacPlus with 1/2
a meg more, the ability to install up to 4M when you want, a new clock chip,
and the knowledge that you have a machine that Apple supports (software wise).
I think its worth it.  The dealers name is 'Northshore Computer'.  - Yossie

dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Dan Schwarz) (03/20/90)

In article <9695@marque.mu.edu> yossie@marque.mu.edu (Yossie Silverman) writes:

>A local dealer I called a few days ago will sell the motherboard for $480.
>The memory to make the new MacPlus a 2.5M machine will cost another $120 or
>so.  If you add that up, and compare to me macWarehouse Dove 2M+SCSI upgrade
>price which is $499, you pay another $100 to have a REAL MacPlus with 1/2
>a meg more, the ability to install up to 4M when you want, a new clock chip,
>and the knowledge that you have a machine that Apple supports (software wise).
>I think its worth it.  The dealers name is 'Northshore Computer'.  - Yossie

Not bad, but does it include the new backpanel necessary for the proper
installation of this motherboard? (as you know, there is an extra SCSI port,
plus the serial ports are changed.) In other words, is it the legit Apple
upgrade, or just a motherboard with no installation?

-Dan

--
| some rise...         | Dan Schwarz, MB 2926 Brandeis U. | RECYCLE YOUR JUNK|
| some fall...         | I'NET dan@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu  | SUPPORT EARTH DAY|

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (03/21/90)

In article <1990Mar19.161711.15575@uncecs.edu> jae@uncecs.edu (Jeff Ersoff) writes:

>We want to upgrade a 512KE to a 2meg SCSI machine. We could pay our local Apple
>dealer $800 to make it a 2 meg Plus, $680 for a Dove upgrade or send the logic
>board to Peripheral Outlet to be upgraded for $475
>
>Do you have any recommendations? Any other alternatives to suggest?

I would personally sell it and buy a Plus.  I know this is tough to accept
(I own and use a 512e myself which I hope to replace soon).  Think about
it, though.  At educational discount, you can get a NEW Mac Plus for about
$900-$1000.  Buy a couple 1 MB SIMMS and you've got a 2.5 MB machine with
SCSI for $1080 or so.  Now sell your 512e for $400-$450.  Now you have a NEW
machine for about $600-$680 (complete with Apple's new 1 year warranty).

I think this makes infinitely more sense than pouring good money into a
3 or 4 year old machine with questionable power supply, aging mouse and
keyboard (all these are dying on my 512e, and most of the other machines
this age that I've seen)....

One man's opinion :-)