[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Apple Announces High Performance Products

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (03/20/90)

For more information about the following announcements, you can read the
other press releases which are available for FTP from Apple.com (130.43.2.2)
in the ~ftp/pub/dts/press directory.  Look for all releases which are
prefixed with pr0319-

Apple Introduces High-Performance
Macintosh Products

SAN JOSE, California--March 19, 1990--Macintosh  personal computing reached
higher levels of power, breadth and usability today as Apple Computer, Inc.
unveiled a collection of new, high-performance Macintosh products.  The
announcements include the following:  Macintosh IIfx, the fastest and most
responsive Macintosh yet developed; A/UX  2.0, a ground-breaking version of
Apple's implementation of the UNIX  operating system; and a new family of
powerful display cards that set new standards of image quality and performance.

"Today's announcements add power and accessibility to the Macintosh product
family," said John Sculley, chairman and chief executive officer of Apple.
"Current Macintosh applications will become even more responsive, more
brilliant, and more enabling.  But, to us," Sculley added,  "the real power of
these new products resides in how they will extend the boundaries of what
people can do with Macintosh.  We expect today's announcements to inspire new
kinds of applications, attract new kinds of customers, and ultimately enable
new ways of using personal computers in the coming decade."

Macintosh IIfx
The Macintosh IIfx is the fastest Macintosh yet developed.  It runs up to twice
as fast as the 25 MHz Macintosh IIci.  This increase in performance derives
from the careful integration of powerful new technologies, including the
following:
- A faster processor/memory subsystem:  The Macintosh IIfx incorporates a 40
MHz 68030 processor/68882 coprocessor combination, a built-in, 32K Static RAM
Cache and a new design called "latched writes";
- An intelligent input/output subsystem:  The new system employs dedicated
input/output processors and a Small Computer System Interface/Direct Memory
Access Controller;
- Richer expansion capabilities:   The Macintosh IIfx includes an expansion
slot tied directly to the processor in addition to its six industry-standard
NuBus  slots.

Apple has incorporated this new technology in a balanced and integrated
fashion, maximizing the performance capabilities of each component.  The
Macintosh IIfx comes in an improved Macintosh II product design.  All Macintosh
II and IIx users can upgrade to the Macintosh IIfx through a logic board
upgrade, also announced today.

A/UX2.0
A/UX 2.0  further extends the benefits of Macintosh to people who work with
UNIX.  A/UX 2.0 retains all the capabilities of previous A/UX releases and adds
three major new features:
- The Macintosh desktop:  All the elements of the distinctive Macintosh
interface--
point-and-click simplicity, menu bars and familiar icons--have been
incorporated into
A/UX 2.0 even as it continues to support industry-standard UNIX.
- UNIX, and X Window System and Macintosh applications:  A/UX 2.0 users can run
any number of UNIX,  X Window System and Macintosh applications under A/UX 2.0
at the same time.
- Macintosh & UNIX integration:  A/UX 2.0 combines the full capabilities and
benefits of both Macintosh and UNIX environments in one system.

Notably, the complete A/UX 2.0 package--off-the-shelf Macintosh applications,
Macintosh hardware, A/UX and support--is available through A/UX-authorized
Apple resellers worldwide.

Macintosh Display Cards
The Macintosh Display Card 4.8, the Macintosh Display Card 8.24, and the
Macintosh Display Card 8.24 GC comprise Apple's new family of display cards for
modular Macintosh systems.  Collectively, they raise the standard of what
people can do with graphics on a Macintosh.  The Macintosh Display Card 4.8 is
a versatile video card that supports a wide range of monitors and graphics
capabilities.  The Macintosh Display Card 8.24 brings brilliant 24-bit color to
all modular Macintosh users.  The Macintosh Display Card 8.24 GC incorporates
all the standard features of the 8.24 card and greatly increases (up to 30
times faster) the responsiveness of all Macintosh applications--especially
graphics-intensive ones.

Taken together, this new family of display cards brings the following benefits
to modular Macintosh users:
- Easier access to high-resolution color:  The new family of display cards
brings the impact and possibilities of 24-bit color and true gray scale to all
modular Macintosh users in thousands of applications.
- Improved image quality and performance:  The new family of cards enables
modular Macintosh users to utilize photo-quality images, render complex designs
and create altogether new uses for the Macintosh.
- Greater graphics extensibility:  All the new cards are self-configuring, work
on all Macintosh monitors and utilize the same familiar Macintosh interface for
all graphics applications.

The Macintosh IIfx and the new family of display cards will be available
worldwide through all authorized Apple resellers.  A/UX 2.0 will be available
through all A/UX-authorized Apple resellers.  The Macintosh IIfx and Macintosh
Display Card 8.24 are available immediately.
A/UX 2.0 and the Macintosh Display Cards 4.8 and 8.24 GC will be available this
summer.

Macintosh IIfx
-   4MB/SuperDrive  version, $8,969
-   4MB/80MB internal hard drive version,  $9,869
-   4MB/160MB internal hard drive version, $10,969

A/UX 2.0 (Prices will be announced at a later date.  Configurations may vary
outside the U.S.)
-   A/UX 2.0 on Apple CD-ROM disk
-   A/UX 2.0 on 800K floppy disks
-   A/UX 2.0 on a 40MB Apple Tape Cartridge
-   Preinstalled on Macintosh IIci 4MB/80MB internal hard drive version
-   Preinstalled on Macintosh IIcx 4MB/80MB internal hard drive version
-   Preinstalled on Macintosh IIfx, 4MB/80MB internal hard drive version
-   Preinstalled on a Macintosh 80MB external hard drive

Macintosh Display Cards
-  Macintosh Display Card 4.8, $648
-  Macintosh Display Card 8.24,  $899
-  Macintosh Display Card 8.24 GC,  $1,999

-30-

Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh and A/UX are registered trademarks; SuperDrive
is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc.  NuBus is a trademark of Texas
Instruments.  UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.  All prices are
manufacturer's suggested U.S. retail price.
--
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

topgun@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Chandra Bajpai) (03/21/90)

In article <39637@apple.Apple.COM> mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:

>- A faster processor/memory subsystem:  The Macintosh IIfx incorporates a 40
>MHz 68030 processor/68882 coprocessor combination, a built-in, 32K Static RAM
>Cache and a new design called "latched writes";

>- An intelligent input/output subsystem:  The new system employs dedicated
>input/output processors and a Small Computer System Interface/Direct Memory
>Access Controller;

Can anybody elaborate on the latched write design and I/O processors
(design and how it actually speeds up the system)?

Thanks,

Chandra Bajpai
topgun@brandeis.cs.edu

MARCELO@phoenix.princeton.edu (MARCELO) (03/21/90)

In article <1990Mar20.161729.9549@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu>
topgun@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Chandra Bajpai) writes:
> Can anybody elaborate on the latched write design and I/O processors
> (design and how it actually speeds up the system)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chandra Bajpai
> topgun@brandeis.cs.edu

     Basically, latched read/write means that read and write accesses to
memory can overlap. A "Holding Area" made up of 64-bit words is what is
used for managing the overlapping read/write operations.

     .. Marcelo ..

marcelo@pucc.princeton.edu
marcelo@phoenix.princeton.edu

philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (03/21/90)

Another question: can anyone supply details of what is meant by speedup of
"up to 30 times over normal Macintosh drawing speeds" on the product
description of the Display Card 8.24 GC?

I have a vague recollection of claims that the Mac II's FPU gave performance
up to 100 times faster, which turned out to mean compared with a Mac Plus
running SANE - and  using the FPU directly on the Mac II, contrary to Apple's
guidelines.

Yet another question: is this $2000 display card faster than the $9000
computer announced at the same time? A 30MHz Am29000 is presumably
pretty quick.

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

dwb@archer.apple.com (David W. Berry) (03/21/90)

In article <1990Mar20.161729.9549@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> topgun@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Chandra Bajpai) writes:
>Can anybody elaborate on the latched write design and I/O processors
>(design and how it actually speeds up the system)?
	I probably misunderstand, but my understanding is that the
"latched write" design allows the cache to overlap reads and writes
to memory and utilizes some patented processes to implement.
	There are to IOP's, each is a modified 6502, including 32K of
memory.  One is attached to the serial chip and the other to ADB and
who knows what-all-else.  The serial chip does things like runs the
AppleTalk protocols, deals with interrupts, etc. and allows the 030
to deal with things on a strictly packet basis.  The other one among
other things deals with the periodic polling required of ADB.

	David W. Berry			A/UX Toolbox Engineer
	dwb@apple.com

anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) (03/21/90)

From: dwb@archer.apple.com (David W. Berry)
>There are to IOP's, each is a modified 6502, including 32K of
>memory.  One is attached to the serial chip and the other to ADB and
>who knows what-all-else.  The serial chip does things like runs the
>AppleTalk protocols, deals with interrupts, etc. and allows the 030
>to deal with things on a strictly packet basis.  The other one among
>other things deals with the periodic polling required of ADB.

Not exactly. One IOP (identified as a PIC on the motherboard,
"Peripheral Interface Chip") controls the two serial ports, the
other is dedicated to the floppy I/O. The ADB circuitry is
essentially unchanged from the Mac II.
                                            --clark

Clark Anderson                  InterNet:  anderson@apple.com
CPU Engineering                 AppleLink: C.ANDERSON
Apple Computer, Inc             BellNet:   408-974-4593

"I speak only for myself, much to my employer's relief..."

carl@Apple.COM (Carl C. Hewitt) (03/22/90)

In article <39692@apple.Apple.COM> anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) writes:
>From: dwb@archer.apple.com (David W. Berry)
>>There are to IOP's, each is a modified 6502, including 32K of
>>memory.  One is attached to the serial chip and the other to ADB and
>>who knows what-all-else.
>Not exactly. One IOP (identified as a PIC on the motherboard,
>"Peripheral Interface Chip") controls the two serial ports, the
>other is dedicated to the floppy I/O. The ADB circuitry is
>essentially unchanged from the Mac II.
>                                            --clark

>Clark Anderson                  InterNet:  anderson@apple.com
>CPU Engineering                 AppleLink: C.ANDERSON
>Apple Computer, Inc             BellNet:   408-974-4593
>
>"I speak only for myself, much to my employer's relief..."

No, David is correct about ADB being handled by the other IOP.  The
SWIM PIC handles floppy i/o _and_ ADB.  It gives ADB priority, so the
mouse doesn't jerk most of the time, but it still can jerk during
floppy format verifies.

-- Carl

|   internet:   carl@apple.com       |  Apple Computer, Mac CPU ROM group     |
|   applelink:	carl                 |  uucp:   {sun,decwrl}!apple!carl       |