[comp.sys.mac.hardware] New Mac Video Cards

eb1z+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward Joseph Bennett) (03/22/90)

Is there/will there be an upgrade path for the current 8 bit video cards to
the new ones and can the 24 bit unaccelerated card have the accelerator added
later or does one have to buy the accelerated card all in one chunk. And when
are they going to do something with the other 8 bits in 32 bit QuickDraw?

Ed

jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway Jr.) (03/22/90)

In article <8a1uJc600XoX82NlV8@andrew.cmu.edu> eb1z+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward Joseph Bennett) writes:
>Is there/will there be an upgrade path for the current 8 bit video cards to
>the new ones and can the 24 bit unaccelerated card have the accelerator added
>later or does one have to buy the accelerated card all in one chunk. And when
>are they going to do something with the other 8 bits in 32 bit QuickDraw?

I don't speak for Apple, or know about an uprade for current boards, but looking
at the photos the 4.8 and 8.24 (the same board) look very different from the
8.24GC, so I wouldn't expect an upgrade as an add-on.  However for those with
multiple monitors, a single 8.24GC WILL accelerate other video boards (i.e.
the GC does the operation even if the destination isn't on its board) and will
even do board to board block mode xfers if supported by the destination (i.e.
another 8.24 or a 4.8).
	-jrg

--
internet   jrg@apple.com      John R. Galloway, Jr.
applelink  d3413              CEO..receptionist

These are my views, NOT Apple's, I am a GUEST here, not an employee!!

philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (03/22/90)

In article <39716@apple.Apple.COM>, jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway Jr.)
writes:

> I don't speak for Apple, or know about an uprade for current boards,
but looking
> at the photos the 4.8 and 8.24 (the same board) look very different from the
> 8.24GC, so I wouldn't expect an upgrade as an add-on.  However for those with
> multiple monitors, a single 8.24GC WILL accelerate other video boards (i.e.
> the GC does the operation even if the destination isn't on its board)
and will
> even do board to board block mode xfers if supported by the destination (i.e.
> another 8.24 or a 4.8).
What about a IIci using built-in video for a second screen? Will this also be
sped up? If this is a generic QuickDraw accelerator, could it be unbundled from
the video card?

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu