[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Color video cards info

cht@eddie.mit.edu (Chester Liu) (03/09/90)

Hi,
	I am on the verge of buying a MacIIcx color system with
Apple's 13" RGB monitor.  Having future upgrades and expansion
in mind, I don't want to buy Apple's 8-bit board because it
cannot be upgraded to any future 24-bit boards.

	What experiences do you have to a third-party 8 or 24
bit board?  The RasterOps Colorboard 208, which is upgradeable to
264, sounds very attractive.  Do other companies offer such
a card and how slow really is a 24-bit card without a QuickDraw
accelerator?

	Thank your for your valuable opinions,
	Chester Liu

p.s. responses will be summarized.

cht@athena.mit.edu
uunet.uu.net, ihnp4!athena.mit.edu.cht
...!eddie.mit.edu!cht

vita@daredevil.crd.ge.com (Mark F Vita) (03/10/90)

In article <1990Mar9.004044.16761@eddie.mit.edu> cht@athena.mit.edu (Chester Liu) writes:
>Hi,
>	I am on the verge of buying a MacIIcx color system with
>Apple's 13" RGB monitor.  Having future upgrades and expansion
>in mind, I don't want to buy Apple's 8-bit board because it
>cannot be upgraded to any future 24-bit boards.

Wait a couple of weeks.  According to MacWEEK, on March 19, Apple will
rolling out (in addition to the IIfx) three new video cards to replace
the current cards.  There'll be a 4*8 card (i.e., 4 bits upgradeable
to 8), a 8*24 card (8 bits upgradeable to 24), and a 8*24 CG (8 bits
upgradeable to 24, with AMD 29000 QuickDraw accelerator).

According to the story, all three new cards will drive all of the
Apple displays.  I suppose this means you could do 24-bit grayscale on
the big Apple two-page display.  I wonder how long it will be until
Apple comes out with a Apple-labeled 19-inch color Trinitron
display...

--
Mark Vita                              vita@crd.ge.com
General Electric CRD               	..!uunet!crd.ge.com!vita

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (03/13/90)

Mark,

"...24 bit greyscale..."  Not quite.  You need a color monitor for 24-bit
color information, there is no greyscale for 24-bit mode as there is for 8-bit
mode.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

sands@apple.com (Michael Sands) (03/21/90)

It would not be possible to have 24-bit grey scale where you have full
resolution in grey levels.  But there is another way of looking at it.

If you drive the red, blue and green guns equally, you have a black and
white picture.  If you then strive for as much resolution as possible, you
will have 256 levels.  This is the same as you currently have on a
"standard" black and white monitor.

The other question is how much resolution do you need to stimulate the
typical human eye.  A short poll here suggested anywhere between eight and
ten bits.  There are ten bit DAC's available.

Michael Sands
system extension group
(408) 974-6108
novice driver, just my thoughts

fozzard@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Richard Fozzard) (03/22/90)

In article <7289@goofy.Apple.COM> sands@apple.com (Michael Sands) writes:
>The other question is how much resolution do you need to stimulate the
>typical human eye.  A short poll here suggested anywhere between eight and
>ten bits.  There are ten bit DAC's available.

I used to work for an image processing company where we did some studies
indicating that people could not see more than 64-128 levels [6-7bits].
256 levels should be more than adequate for any grey scale images. The
advantages of going to 10 or 12 bit images is the additional processing
[ie. edge enhancement, etc] that can be done w/o loss of information.
There is no reason to spend the money on 10 bit DACs to your monitor, but
there is often justification to use 10 or 12 bit ADCs on input.

rich

Richard Fozzard					"Serendipity empowers"
Univ of Colorado/CIRES/NOAA	R/E/FS  325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303
fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu                   (303)497-6011 or 444-3168

isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu ( ISR group account) (03/22/90)

By using all three (RGB) DACs, carefully choosing the individual levels, and
sending the outputs through a attenuator/mixing network, it is possible
to acheive 12-bit accuracy in 16 stepped ranges. (ie, at the hi-order 4 bit
bit transitions, there are mismatchs).
--
Mike Schechter, Computer Engineer,Institute Sensory Research, Syracuse Univ.
InterNet: isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu   Bitnet: SENSORY@SUNRISE