[comp.sys.mac.hardware] MacProducts USA Experience???

hedstrom@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP (Brad Hedstrom) (03/10/90)

I'm looking at purchaseing a tape backup system. MacWorld gave rave reviews of
MacProducts MagiTape backup system. Before I place an order, I was wondering
of anyone has had any experiences with said company, good or bad. If you've
had dealings with them, please email me.

Thank you,
Brad Hedstrom, University of Victoria, ECE Dept.
Internet:  hedstrom@sirius.uvic.ca
UUCP:   ...!{uw-beaver,ubc-vision}!uvicctr!hedstrom

6600bike@hub.UUCP (Puneet Pasrich) (03/11/90)

From article <952@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP>, by hedstrom@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP (Brad Hedstrom):
> I'm looking at purchaseing a tape backup system. MacWorld gave rave reviews of
> MacProducts MagiTape backup system. Before I place an order, I was wondering
> of anyone has had any experiences with said company, good or bad. If you've
> had dealings with them, please email me.

MacProducts SUCKS!!!!!  I am dead serious.
Why?  I ordered a Microtech 300-Z scanner from them.  I bought two
things: 1) The scanner 2) The SCSI adapter/software.  (This is required
because the 300Z has to have an external SCSI converter.)  I only
recieved #1.  I had to call them (800 number, thank God) about _20_
times in the duration of three weeks to get them to send me the damn
converter.  Get this: I had paid for both, they had only sent me the
scanner and the softare.  Meaning I did not get: converter, cables,
power supply, power cable.  And on top of that they blamed _me_ for not
ordering the converter!  Ha!  I was a tad PO'd.  After all the damn
calls, they finally mailed it to me.
No more business with MacProducts.  I'll gladly pay for more.
  |Puneet Pasrich  |  Internet:  6600bike@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu  |
  |Karate Kid      |  Bitnet:    6600bike@ucsbuxa.bitnet    |
  |'Just do it!'   |                                        |

barry@network.ucsd.edu (Barry Brown) (03/12/90)

In article <4264@hub.UUCP> 6600bike@hub.UUCP (Puneet Pasrich) writes:
>MacProducts SUCKS!!!!!  I am dead serious.
>Why?  I ordered a Microtech 300-Z scanner from them.  I bought two
>things: 1) The scanner 2) The SCSI adapter/software.  (This is required
>because the 300Z has to have an external SCSI converter.)  I only
>recieved #1.  I had to call them (800 number, thank God) about _20_
   .
   .
   .

I beg to differ.

I ordered three PhoneNet-compatible network connectors from them
and I my only complaint is that I had to wait a week instead of
three days (as was promised) for them.  The connectors (their
own custom model, apparently) work fabulously and at $19, they're
a cheap alternative to PhoneNet and AppleTalk.

--
              _____       _____               Barry Brown
_|__   |  |     | /  ----     /  \ \ /" __    barry@network.ucsd.edu
/  _|  |  |/   /    ------   \   __/    __|_  ...!ucsd!network!barry

grobbins@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Grobbins) (03/12/90)

In article <2275@network.ucsd.edu> barry@network.ucsd.edu (Barry Brown) writes:
>In article <4264@hub.UUCP> 6600bike@hub.UUCP (Puneet Pasrich) writes:
>>MacProducts SUCKS!!!!!  I am dead serious.
>I beg to differ. I ordered three PhoneNet-compatible network connectors
>from them...The connectors ... work fabulously and at $19, they're
>a cheap alternative to PhoneNet and AppleTalk.

Similar alternative phonenet-style connectors are available from
The MacZone for $17.  From net postings, it seems the MacZone has
a better reputation for service and cheaper shipping than MacProducts.

Grobbins.

Usual disclaimers apply.  Not a customer of either company.

ifan572@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (03/12/90)

In article <2275@network.ucsd.edu> barry@network.ucsd.edu (Barry Brown) writes:

>I beg to differ.
>
>I ordered three PhoneNet-compatible network connectors from them
>and I my only complaint is that I had to wait a week instead of
>three days (as was promised) for them.  The connectors (their
>own custom model, apparently) work fabulously and at $19, they're
>a cheap alternative to PhoneNet and AppleTalk.

The fact that you didn't get the delivery as promised is indicative of
MacProducts' customer service.  I have dealt with them for a long time and the
only reason I buy from them is when the low price outweighs any need for
service or support.  I've had trouble getting things delivered and have had
trouble getting things serviced.  The owners are cheap and the bottom line is
the $, even at the expense of a bad reputation (which they have in the Austin
area).

Murdok.The.Merciless@f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Murdok The Merciless) (03/23/90)

I worked at macproducts for two months and I cannot imagine a company with
sleezyer business practices or more unreliable products.
Not to mention they lie to customers about their stuff and never pass up
an oportunity to rip people off!!!

--
Murdok The Merciless via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!382!54!Murdok.The.Merciless