anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) (03/23/90)

From: yost@esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost)
>2.  Tell us about the SIMMs on the IIfx.  Are they compatible with
> anything already on the open market, or are they different?

The SIMMs in the IIfx are the same style as LaserWriter SIMMs,
that is, it's a 64-pin connector instead of a 30-pin
connector. The difference is the speed. The IIfx requires 80ns,
all the LaserWriter SIMMs I've seen are 120ns.

I don't know if they're available from 3rd parties, but I'm sure
they soon will be...
                                  --clark

Clark Anderson                  InterNet:  anderson@apple.com
CPU Engineering                 AppleLink: C.ANDERSON
Apple Computer, Inc             BellNet:   408-974-4593

"I speak only for myself, much to my employer's relief..."

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (03/23/90)

In article <1872@esquire.UUCP>, yost@esquire (David A. Yost) writes:
>Could someone at Apple tell us:
>
>1.  If you use the new 8-24 GC card in 1-bit mode, do you still get
>    the benefit of QuickDraw acceleration, and if so, about how much?

Also, if you buy the 8*24 card, can it be upgraded to an 8*24 GC card?

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (03/24/90)

In article <39763@apple.Apple.COM> anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) writes:

>The SIMMs in the IIfx are the same style as LaserWriter SIMMs,
>that is, it's a 64-pin connector instead of a 30-pin
>connector. The difference is the speed. The IIfx requires 80ns,
>all the LaserWriter SIMMs I've seen are 120ns.

I was under the impression that the extra 32 pins on a LaserWriter SIMM were
individual bit-enable lines, and that the extra 32 pins on the 'fx' SIMM are
output data lines.  Is this not true?

How many wait states do the 80ns SIMMs cause, and is there any provision for
using faster memory someday?

(and of course, we all want to know if its possible [for a 3rd party] to
engineer an '040 drop-in replacement for the '030)

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

dwb@sticks.apple.com (David Berry) (03/24/90)

In article <1879@esquire.UUCP> baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) writes:
>Also, if you buy the 8*24 card, can it be upgraded to an 8*24 GC card?
	Nope.  The 1*8 card can be upgraded to an 8*24 since they are the
	same card with varying memory.  The 8*24 and the 8*24 GC are
	substantially different cards.

	David W. Berry			A/UX Toolbox Engineer
	dwb@apple.com

mmaston@portia.Stanford.EDU (Michael Maston) (03/24/90)

In article <1879@esquire.UUCP> baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) writes:
>In article <1872@esquire.UUCP>, yost@esquire (David A. Yost) writes:
>>Could someone at Apple tell us:
>>
>>1.  If you use the new 8-24 GC card in 1-bit mode, do you still get
>>    the benefit of QuickDraw acceleration, and if so, about how much?
>
>Also, if you buy the 8*24 card, can it be upgraded to an 8*24 GC card?

No.  According to the latest MacWeek I read (3/20) you can upgrade by adding
memory from the 4*8 to the 8*24, but there is no upgrading to a GC.

Sorry.

Mike