[comp.sys.mac.hardware] x-10 controller

ahlenius@motcid.UUCP (Mark Ahlenius) (03/21/90)

Does anyone know of an X-10 controller that connects to
the Mac for programming, and then operates in a stand alone
environment?  I believe the product used to be called
x-10 powerhouse, but am not exactly sure.

I have not been able to find a source for this unit?
Any hints?

	thanks
	please email responses if possible.
--
===============	regards   'mark  =============================================
Mark Ahlenius 		  voice:(708)-632-5346  email: uunet!motcid!ahleniusm

yost@esquire.UUCP (David A. Yost) (03/23/90)

In article <1785@turquoise.UUCP> ahlenius@motcid.UUCP (Mark Ahlenius) writes:
>Does anyone know of an X-10 controller that connects to
>the Mac for programming, and then operates in a stand alone
>environment?  I believe the product used to be called
>X-10 powerhouse, but am not exactly sure.
>
>I have not been able to find a source for this unit?
>Any hints?

You have it right.  DAK in Chatsworth, CA sells it.  J&R Music in New York
City sells it.  Radio Shack has X-10 stuff and maybe sells this.  It's
cheap.  There is Mac software to download your timing settings into it, and
the software is actually quite good, and it even runs on a color IIci.  You
can call X-10 USA at 800-526-0027 for more information and they can also
send you a catalog of other X-10 products.  Other X-10 stuff:
    800-824-5003 Leviton Decora Electronic Controls
    800-521-5262 Stanley Lightmaker
    800-253-0570 Heath

X-10 is nifty.

 --dave yost

Ed.Edell@p1.f563.n107.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Ed Edell) (03/25/90)

> Does anyone know of an X-10 controller that connects to
> the Mac for programming, and then operates in a stand alone
> environment?  I believe the product used to be called
> x-10 powerhouse, but am not exactly sure.
>
> I have not been able to find a source for this unit?
> Any hints?

The company that sells those items maintains a Round Table on GEnie-
You could probably find out from there a location where you could purchase those
items. (On GEnie, go XTEN.)

As to a controller that you can program from the Mac, and then disconnect-
I have one and it works fine. The only catch is that you have to use it with
the modem port, but that most likely is no big deal ...
                                                      -Ed

--
Ed Edell via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!107!563.1!Ed.Edell