[comp.sys.mac.hardware] How to replace Mac II battery?

cy@dbase.A-T.COM (Cy Shuster) (03/03/90)

Various sources warn that the time has finally come for those of us
who purchased early Mac IIs (and who haven't left them powered up
continuously) to have our soldered-on-the-motherboard batteries run
down.

Surely there must be a nifty clip-on battery replacement available?
I can't imagine waiting forever to have someone swap my motherboard.

--Cy--     cy@dbase.a-t.com

edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (03/03/90)

In article <451@dbase.A-T.COM> cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) writes:
>continuously) to have our soldered-on-the-motherboard batteries run
>down.

Did you notice the fine print? Something like: "Do not throw the dead battery
in the trash.  Return it to Apple, so that it can be properly disposed of."

What's in there, anyway??
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

chou@cs.umn.edu (Chih-Hsiang Chou) (03/04/90)

In article <451@dbase.A-T.COM> cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) writes:
>Various sources warn that the time has finally come for those of us
>who purchased early Mac IIs (and who haven't left them powered up
>continuously) to have our soldered-on-the-motherboard batteries run
>down.

	Last time I read from the Apple "Macintosh Family Hardware
Reference Manual", it says that these batteries are rechargable.
So if the Mac II hasn't been powered up for some time and the battery
is dead. Can you simply jump-start the Mac II and let it recharge
the battery? I don't know, just curious.

--
Chih-Hsiang Chou	chou@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
Department of Computer Science

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (03/15/90)

In article <1990Mar3.215553.14923@cs.umn.edu>, chou@cs.umn.edu (Chih-Hsiang Chou) writes...

>In article <451@dbase.A-T.COM> cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) writes:
>>Various sources warn that the time has finally come for those of us
>>who purchased early Mac IIs (and who haven't left them powered up
>>continuously) to have our soldered-on-the-motherboard batteries run
>>down.

Could someone (preferably from Apple) please clarify this?  I have a II from
late '87.  Surely I can't have to have the motherboard replaced. I haven't
heard anything about this before, in MacWeek or anywhere else.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

rsutc@fornax.UUCP (Rick Sutcliffe) (03/15/90)

In article <8058@tank.uchicago.edu>, gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

> In article <1990Mar3.215553.14923@cs.umn.edu>, chou@cs.umn.edu (Chih-Hsiang Chou) writes...
>
> >In article <451@dbase.A-T.COM> cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) writes:
> >>Various sources warn that the time has finally come for those of us
> >>who purchased early Mac IIs (and who haven't left them powered up
> >>continuously) to have our soldered-on-the-motherboard batteries run
> >>down.
> >>

> Could someone (preferably from Apple) please clarify this?  I have a II from
> late '87.  Surely I can't have to have the motherboard replaced. I haven't

I have some Apple //GS machines from the first batch ever done (limited
editions) - must be early 87, I suppose.  All have dead batteries.  They
have to be removed and new ones soldered in.  While none of my macs have
yet met the same fate, I assume they will eventually.  I have not checked
to see how hard it is to remove the Mac battery, but soldered in batteries
are enough to make one resort to assault and battery.  A dumb design
decision.

Rick Sutcliffe 	Associate Professor		\ (89-90 only) Visitor
		Computing Science & Mathematics	\ School of Computing Science
		Trinity Western University	\ Simon Fraser University
		7600 Glover Rd.,		\ Burnaby, B.C. Canada V5A 1S6
		Langley B.C. Canada V3A 4R9
	e-mail: Rick_Sutcliffe@cc.sfu.ca OR Compuserve 76475,3406

cy@dbase.A-T.COM (Cy Shuster) (03/22/90)

In article <8058@tank.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>In article <1990Mar3.215553.14923@cs.umn.edu>, chou@cs.umn.edu (Chih-Hsiang Chou) writes...
>
>>In article <451@dbase.A-T.COM> cy@dbase.UUCP (Cy Shuster) writes:
>>>Various sources warn that the time has finally come for those of us
>>>who purchased early Mac IIs (and who haven't left them powered up
>>>continuously) to have our soldered-on-the-motherboard batteries run
>>>down.
>>>

>Could someone (preferably from Apple) please clarify this?  I have a II from
>late '87.  Surely I can't have to have the motherboard replaced. I haven't
>heard anything about this before, in MacWeek or anywhere else.

I can't clarify, but RBAUER@oregon.uoregon.edu was kind enough to suggest
Soft Solutions in Oregon (503\461-1136), who stated they have 'em for $10.
I don't know how they're installed.

--Cy--    cy@dbase.a-t.com

bokonon@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Genghis Khan) (03/23/90)

Greetings netters....

   For those thinking of replacing their own SE and II (Should i just say
"non-pre-SE"?) batteries, a few words of caution.  I believe that Apple
requires these batteries to be shipped BACK to Apple for DISPOSAL.  Seems that
the batteries fall udner the category of hazardous / toxic waste.

   Happy, errr... safe computing...

	Genghis

mwilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (03/23/90)

In article <26713@ut-emx.UUCP> bokonon@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Genghis Khan) writes:

> I believe that Apple
>requires these batteries to be shipped BACK to Apple for DISPOSAL.  Seems that
>the batteries fall udner the category of hazardous / toxic waste.

  So does a broken thermometer.  If you're worried about it, most
engineering related businesses and colleges have a means by which to legally
dispose of such things.
  In any case, there are simpler ways to deal with toxic waste than shipping
it to Apple.

>	Genghis

-- Mark

andyn@stpstn.UUCP (Andy Novobilski) (03/24/90)

In article <5365@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> mwilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:
>  In any case, there are simpler ways to deal with toxic waste than shipping
>it to Apple.
>
>-- Mark

But none of them are as much fun :-|)>   (smile with facial hair)

Andy Novobilski
andyn@stepstone.com
The Stepstone Corp

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (03/26/90)

When your battery dies, you have a great excuse to upgrade to a IIfx :-)

							Tim Smith