[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Seikosha Printer

gjohn@Neon.Stanford.EDU (George H. John) (03/08/90)

I'm trying to weasle my way out of buying an imagewriter.  I've
noticed a Seikosha dot matrix printer (price: $210) advertized
in some mac-magazines.  Does anyone have one?  Heard any rumors?

Thanks,
George

phillips@nrl-cmf.UUCP (Lee Phillips) (03/08/90)

In article <1990Mar8.103117.15464@Neon.Stanford.EDU> gjohn@Neon.Stanford.EDU (George H. John) writes:
>I'm trying to weasle my way out of buying an imagewriter.  I've
>noticed a Seikosha dot matrix printer (price: $210) advertized
>in some mac-magazines.  Does anyone have one?  Heard any rumors?

I've used this Seikosha for a couple of years (light use) with no
problems.  The Mac just thinks that it's an Imagewriter.  You use the
Imagewriter driver, etc. The salesman told me that sometimes it messes
up on bit-mapped graphics; I don't print pictures enough to comment on
that.  (It's the Seikosha 1000 AP.)

                                           Lee Phillips
                                           phillips@cmf.nrl.navy.mil

lnk10562@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (03/10/90)

I own a Seikosha 1000AP as well, and it's done a very good job for me.
Yes, the Mac sees it as a normal Imagewriter I, it even does reverse page
feeds and the like.  Ribbons are cheap, the only advantage you don't have
with this printer is speed.  Imagewriters are a little faster on bitmaps,
and a lot faster on word processed text and draft mode.  It does have a
fairly decent LQ draft mode, which is nice for program listings. One thing
that is interesting about the 1000AP (LISTEN UP GUYS), is that you can stick in
an 8K RAM chip (available at most Radio Shacks) and increase the buffer size.
Wish I had the part number and DIP socket location, I would have posted it.
Maybe later on.  Anyway, it's a hell of a deal, they seem to be in demand as
well (had to wait 12 weeks via mail order to get mine).

Louis Koziarz
koziarz@uiuc.edu

phillips@nrl-cmf.UUCP (Lee Phillips) (03/13/90)

In article <132100002@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> lnk10562@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>that is interesting about the 1000AP (LISTEN UP GUYS), is that you can stick in
>an 8K RAM chip (available at most Radio Shacks) and increase the buffer size.

I didn't know that.  Why should I do this?  What will it get me?
Will the printing be faster?

carson@tron.UUCP (Dana Carson) (03/15/90)

In article <132100002@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> lnk10562@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I own a Seikosha 1000AP as well, and it's done a very good job for me.
>that is interesting about the 1000AP (LISTEN UP GUYS), is that you can stick in
>an 8K RAM chip (available at most Radio Shacks) and increase the buffer size.
>Wish I had the part number and DIP socket location, I would have posted it.
>Maybe later on.  Anyway, it's a hell of a deal, they seem to be in demand as
>well (had to wait 12 weeks via mail order to get mine).
>
>Louis Koziarz
>University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
>koziarz@uiuc.edu

I just bought one thru MacWarehouse.  It cost a little more (235 vs 210)
but I had it the next day.  Cable was extra, and they thought it didn't
come with a ribbon so I bought one as well.  It does so I have an extra.
Not a bad deal and I had it the next day.

Have you dug up that part number yet?

Dana Carson
Westinghouse Electronic Systems Group  Mail Stop 1615
UUCP:carson@tron.bwi.wec.com
     uunet!tron!carson
AT&T: (301) 765-3513
WIN: 285-3513

holst@rimfaxe.diku.dk (Bo Holst-Christensen) (03/26/90)

   I have seen a few articles passing by lately conserning the Seikosha 1000AP
printer.
   I have tried to get information from the Danish distributor, but the only
answer I could get from him was, that the printer was discontinued by Seikosha
four years ago, and that the reason it is for sale in the US is that someone
had bought a big lot a few years ago.
   Could anyone confirm this, or is it just a bad excuse from the distributor.

   Thanks in advance

   Bo Holst-Christensen
   Dept. of Computer Science
   University of Copenhagen
   Universitetsparken 1
   DK-2100 Koebenhavn OE
   Denmark

   email: holst@diku.dk
   email: holst@diku.dk

Randy.Shaw@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Randy Shaw) (03/27/90)

The first reply was accurate, it is SLOW. But, you get what you pay for. If
you are not trying to make your living with it, it is a great alternative to
the expensive ImageWriter. But if your time is worth very much, you are far
better off paying for an ImageWriter.

--
Randy Shaw - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!sun!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Randy.Shaw