[comp.sys.mac.hardware] IIci and new video cards

jwg1@gte.com (James W. Gish) (03/27/90)

Since the IIci has video built in to the motherboard(?), I'm assuming
that there is no 'upgrade' to the new video cards, short of outright
purchase of the card and using it instead of the onboard video.  Is
that correct?

Also, is the onboard video 8 bits?

Also, any guesses as to how/when a 68040 upgrade of the IIci will take
place?
--
Jim Gish
GTE Laboratories, Inc., Waltham, MA

rcfische@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer) (03/28/90)

In article <JWG1.90Mar26154934@bunny.gte.com> jwg1@gte.com (James W. Gish) writes:
>Since the IIci has video built in to the motherboard(?), I'm assuming
>that there is no 'upgrade' to the new video cards, short of outright
>purchase of the card and using it instead of the onboard video.  Is
>that correct?

Yes

>Also, is the onboard video 8 bits?

Yes with a 13" screen, 4 bits with the 1 page display (it will work
with either)

>Also, any guesses as to how/when a 68040 upgrade of the IIci will take
>place?

Not until 1992. 68040's are not yet in plentiful supply, and I expect
Apple to concentrate on other areas first.  Before such an upgrade becomes
available, I would think that Apple will get some life out of the IIfx and
then drop the prices of the Mac line so that the added capabilities of a 68040
based Mac could be introduced at a "reasonable" price (<$12k?).  With the
introduction of a 68040 based Mac would come upgrade options.

Ray Fischer
rcfische@polyslo.calpoly.edu