[comp.sys.mac.hardware] NTSC on new Mac Video Cards?

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (03/22/90)

I see that all the new Mac video cards say they support interlaced
RS-170 standard timing. However, this sounds short of having a standard
NTSC color video output that can be recorded on a VCR.

What additional hardware is needed?
--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP

pascal@altitude.CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) (03/25/90)

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:

>I see that all the new Mac video cards say they support interlaced
>RS-170 standard timing. However, this sounds short of having a standard
>NTSC color video output that can be recorded on a VCR.

>What additional hardware is needed?
>--
>Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
>Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP
>Dept of Math and CS | km@emory.bitnet              NON-DOMAIN BITNET
>Atlanta, GA 30322   | Phone: (404) 727-7963

Unfortunately, the 4.8 8.24 and 8.24GC only provide MONOCHROME NTSC output.
There is no RCA connector on these cards so you must hack together your own
cable to get the signal out.  You must also set the card to 60Hz (somehow!).

With RGB to NTSC converters running at around $1000, there seems to be a
definite market for a low-cost RGB to NTSC converter.

| Pascal Gosselin          |    Internet: pascal@altitude.CAM.ORG    |
| Computer Connection Inc. |    (514) 674-1514     CIS: 72757,1570   |

sands@apple.com (Michael Sands) (03/28/90)

The cards do support NTSC output in color, not just monochrome as
mentioned.  You can set the NTSC in the monitor control panel using the
option key.  The cables do have to be cobbled up or you can use some third party video boxes.

If the results are poor, please contact me as there is a hack to improve
the display quality on some third party boxes.

You can hack up a cable bringing out the RGB signals.  You have to fool
the sense lines to imitate the Apple II monitor as well.

Michael Sands
system extension group
(408) 974-6108
novice driver, just my thoughts