[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Need info on A/UX and X windows

watermaa@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WATERMAN ALEXANDER S) (03/27/90)

I don't know if this is a Hardware or software question but.....
I'm trying to get a friend over to the Macintosh world but he's really
stuck on his IBM.
But if he can run Unix and maybe Xwindows on the Mac, he will change

What is A/UX (is it a software or hardware)
Can X windows run under A/UX (is it available?)
How powerful are these under the MAC
What is the cost to have each of these running?

I would appreciate any and all info that I can get

THANKS for helping me out !!!

Kent Leung
watermaa@boulder.colorado.edu (posted c/o A. Waterman)

huntley@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Haydn Huntley) (03/28/90)

In article <18874@boulder.Colorado.EDU> watermaa@tramp.Colorado.EDU (WATERMAN ALEXANDER S) writes:
| I don't know if this is a Hardware or software question but.....
| I'm trying to get a friend over to the Macintosh world but he's really
| stuck on his IBM.
| But if he can run Unix and maybe Xwindows on the Mac, he will change
|
| What is A/UX (is it a software or hardware)

A/UX is Apple's version of Unix for Mac II and SE/30 machines.  It is
software, though it costs approx $1000.

| Can X windows run under A/UX (is it available?)

Yes!  X11R4 is available for A/UX 2.0.

| How powerful are these under the MAC

From what I've heard they're great -- you can run Unix and MultiFinder
simultaneously, and cut and paste freely between them.
You should subscribe to comp.unix.aux for more information!

--Haydn

mikel@goofy.apple.com (Mikel Evins) (03/29/90)

In article <39874@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, huntley@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
(Haydn Huntley) writes:
> In article <18874@boulder.Colorado.EDU> watermaa@tramp.Colorado.EDU
(WATERMAN ALEXANDER S) writes:
> | I don't know if this is a Hardware or software question but.....
> | I'm trying to get a friend over to the Macintosh world but he's really
> | stuck on his IBM.
> | But if he can run Unix and maybe Xwindows on the Mac, he will change
> |
> | What is A/UX (is it a software or hardware)
>
> A/UX is Apple's version of Unix for Mac II and SE/30 machines.  It is
> software, though it costs approx $1000.
>
> | Can X windows run under A/UX (is it available?)
>
> Yes!  X11R4 is available for A/UX 2.0.
>
> | How powerful are these under the MAC
>
> From what I've heard they're great -- you can run Unix and MultiFinder
> simultaneously, and cut and paste freely between them.
> You should subscribe to comp.unix.aux for more information!
>
> --Haydn

You can also install X11R4 as the sole user interface. I recently did it,
just for kicks. Its kind of cool just for the variety; but man-oh-man, twm
really makes me appreciate how smooth and capable the Finder is.

A version of Motif is also available for A/UX, but I forget who the
vendor is. Too bad, 'cuz I'd like to try it out and see how much it
improves on twm.

--me