[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Hackintosh Monitor problems

leburg@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Brian Pierson) (02/20/90)

Hello to all the Netters,

	I have a Hackintosh SE and a Samsung MZ4571. It is close to being done
except I have two big problems.

		1. I can't get the screen to center itself. I have tried to
			increase the delay by putting in the fourth cap and
			by putting in more resistance as per Les Hall's
			Computer Shopper article.

		2. The screen rolls vertically

Ok gang any clues?

		Does anyone know if Les Hall has an Internet connection?
		If so can or wil you e-mail his address

	Thanks for any and all help

	Brian Pierson            pierson@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu

whit@milton.acs.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (02/21/90)

In article <7658@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> leburg@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Brian Pierson) writes:
>	I have a Hackintosh SE and a Samsung MZ4571. It is close to being done
>except I have two big problems.
>
>		1. I can't get the screen to center itself. I have tried to
>			increase the delay by putting in the fourth cap and
>			by putting in more resistance as per Les Hall's
>			Computer Shopper article.
>
>		2. The screen rolls vertically

	The screen centering should be mainly adjusted with the controls
in the monitor (possibly labelled horizontal phase, or phase, on the
circuit board).  If this range is inadequate, make a LARGE change by using
the inverted HSYNC signal, i.e. add one section of an inverter to the
HSYNC signal, then try again with the monitor adjustment.
	The VSYNC signal from the SE is not similar to that on the
MacPlus; you may have to lengthen the signal by some means: a
monostable (one-shot, 555 timer) or a Schmitt trigger and some
diodes/resistors/capacitors.  The VSYNC pulse from the SE board is
very short, compared to that from the MacPlus, and may not be
correct for the Hackintosh circuit and your monitor.  Try to
ensure that VSYNC stays low for about 2 ms.
	I built my FrankenTosh a few years before the articles
came out, and felt my way through my entire video conversion
with an oscilloscope and no schematics.  It wasn't TOO bad.

I am known for my brilliance,              John Whitmore
 by those who do not know me well.

mikef@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Freedberg) (03/27/90)

I need to find out for some friends who are considering a move to Europe
with some new computer. The Student Stores is having a great sale on
Mac Plusses, but that is also the only machine without the universal
power supply. My question is: can one replace the Plus power supply
with one of the universal ones? Does the Plus have a different power
requirement which would make this impossible. User Services thinks it
can be done, while the Student Stores says it cannot!!
Please respond by e-mail to:"
mikef@ecsvax.bitnet
Many thanks, netters!!
Michael Freedberg
UNC@Chapel Hill, User Services, MicroComputing Services
Software Trainer
--
|Michael Freedberg                                           |
|Software TRaininrainer & Comp. Lit. Grad. Student                 |

Justin_Randall_Padawer@cup.portal.com (03/29/90)

The standard Mac Plus power supply board can indeed be replaced by
the Apple international version.