[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac IIcx vs Mac SE/30

purtill@athena.mit.edu (Mark R Purtill) (03/23/90)

	I'm interesting in comparisons between the Mac IIcx and the
SE/30.  Is the Mac IIcx really worth the extra money (c. $1000)?
I'd be interested in adding a large screen and video card at some
point, and I gather this is possible for the SE/30 -- has anyone
actually done this?  Other than that, then only periferals I'd want to
add would be SCSI disks and a modem, so I don't really see that the
NuBus slots are of interest to me.  Is there any other difference?
	Please respond by email, I will post a summary if there is any
interest.  Maybe even if there isn't.

Mark Purtill
^.-.^ purtill@math.mit.edu (if that fails, try: purtill@athena.mit.edu)
((")) \@_: Dept. of Math., MIT 2-229, Cambridge, MA 02139; (617)623-6238

purtill@athena.mit.edu (Mark R Purtill) (03/30/90)

In comp.sys.mac.hardware I wrote:
>	I'm interesting in comparisons between the Mac IIcx and the
>SE/30.  Is the Mac IIcx really worth the extra money (c. $1000)?
>I'd be interested in adding a large screen and video card at some
>point, and I gather this is possible for the SE/30 -- has anyone
>actually done this?  Other than that, then only periferals I'd want to
>add would be SCSI disks and a modem, so I don't really see that the
>NuBus slots are of interest to me.  Is there any other difference?
>	Please respond by email, I will post a summary if there is any
>interest.  Maybe even if there isn't.

	Here are extracts from the responses I got, followed by my
"response" and more questions.  (If anyone is interested, I can
forward the entire text of the messages I got).

From: "John R. Delaney" <delaney@XN.LL.MIT.EDU>

From: rcfische@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer)

From: John Rieman <rieman@boulder.Colorado.EDU>

From: watermaa@tramp.Colorado.EDU (K. Leung)

From: claris!drc@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Dennis Cohen)

From: ar4@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Piper Keairnes)

From: smith@origin.life.uiuc.edu (Steven Smith)
>   I was in the same position as you are now, and I opted for the
> SE/30.
(Omitted: details of how an SE/30 with 5meg, a color monitor and A/UX
come to $5190)

From: kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
> We have one Mac SE/30 + Formac 19" b/w screen. It is OK. Only thing is that
> who knows what is the future of SE/30: It has a different card slot than
> MacSE and MacII. So there is not so many cards for it than for
> MacII. And Apple does no do displays for it (or did not?).

	Okay, fine, everyone seems to be saying that the MacIIcx is a
better machine, and the slots are handy.  I believe you.
	But.  At MIT academic prices, the SE/30 (plain) comes in at
$2540 + $90(keyboard) = $2630, while the MacIIcx is $2995 +
$90(keyboard) + $135(cheapest video card) + $275(cheapest monitor) for
a total of $3495, which is $865 more (so I was $135 off, sorry).  For
two usable NuBus slots.  Okay, so when I upgrade to a large screen,
it'll cost me more, but $865 more?  (And the upgrade cost is money in
the distant future, like two years from now, versus money now, too).
(Incidentally, the HD40 in an SE/30 adds $325, but in the IIcx, it
costs $495.  How come?)
	SO, more questions:
	(1) Where I should look to price 19" monitors and vidoe cards
for the SE/30?  I'd like to know who much more that video card is
going to cost.  Again, if anyone has actually connected up a large
(or indeed any) monitor to an SE/30, I'd like here from you on how
well it worked.  Especially if you used A/UX and X -- did it work?
	(2) How much more will an external HD go for than the internal
that won't fit in the SE/30 box?
	Again, reply by email, I'll summarize.