[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Making a 40meg Apple internal into an external?

s320@cs.utexas.edu (Spring 90) (04/09/90)

In article <1298@swbatl.sbc.com> gilstrap@swbatl.UUCP (Brian Gilstrap - UCI - 5-3929) writes:
>Is it possible to build a case for a 40 meg "Apple" internal drive and make it
>into an external drive?  If so, what's involved?
>
>Now I'll just sit back and see just how stupid this question was.... :)
>
>Thanks,
>Brian R. Gilstrap
>uucibg@swbatl.uucp OR ...!{ texbell, uunet }!swbatl!uucibg

It's not really that hard.  You need a power supply and a case, and some way to
set the SCSI ID.  Also you might to want to remove the termination (internal
apple drives are terminated, externals are not)

The termination is easy to do.  There are 3 resistor packs at one end of the
drives.  Just take them out (use a small screwdriver, and be careful.)
Ground yourself first!  The resistor packs are interchangeable, so it doesn't
matter which one is which.

You can buy the p/s and case from someone, I don't know who, and the SCSI id
is set with a jumper.  If you have access to an apple external, check it out.
The pushbutton SCSI ID changer is attached to the correct set of pins (it has
a 6-pin connector.)

I got to do this last week because I had to replace a 3.5 in external apple
drive.  Their external HD mechanism is 5.25 in, so (according to their tech
manuals) you take an internal and do these changes.  Unfortunately, some of the
drives have the SCSI ID pins too close to a chip to add the 6-pin connector, so
we just mark the box 'internal only' or some such.

I work in service at our campus reseller.
Disclaimer:  the Texas Union Microcenter has no knowledge of the, and Apple
doesn't even know I exist (except for the guys who say "don't quote me on
the internet!")

--
Ted Woodward (s320@cs.utexas.edu)

Someone shot the food...