[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Adding 2MB to a Mac SE

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (03/24/90)

We have a Mac SE that had 2MB in it, and we are adding 2 more 1MB SIMMs
to it.

First, we put the SIMMs in place, but they weren't recognized.

We checked the manual, and it says that we need to remove the SIMM
jumper (even though it is marked "1MB" and "2/4MB", implying that
it should be left alone).  What happened when we did this was that
the Mac came up fine, but the screen was such that there were 1/4"
vertical strips alternating with the expected video.  In other words,
it looked like our Mac was in jail!

Pulling down "About the Finder" and reading "between the lines", it
was apparent that the Mac was seeing the extra memory.

Any ideas what we need to do to make this work?

--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (03/25/90)

In article <1990Mar24.001729.3785@smsc.sony.com> dce@smsc.Sony.COM (David Elliott) writes:
>We have a Mac SE that had 2MB in it, and we are adding 2 more 1MB SIMMs
>to it.

And then apparently I went off into space, because the 3 replies I've
gotten came from there.

There are 3 situations:

	1. 2MB

	2. 4MB with jumper in 2/4MB position

	3. 4MB with jumper removed as per the manual for recent SEs (we
	   don't have an old SE manual)

In cases 1 and 2, the machine works exactly the same.  That is, it
recognizes 2MB of RAM and runs with no problems.

In case 3, the screen is messed up (vertical bars of grey, 1/2" wide),
but it recognizes the 4MB of RAM and runs fine as far as I can tell.

We can put the machine into any one of these states.  That is, we aren't
currently stuck with a broken machine, as we have it in state 2, but
it just doesn't recognize the additional memory.

--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce
(408)944-4073
Help!!! The Easter Bunny is after me!!!

Murdok.The.Merciless@p7.f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Murdok The Merciless) (04/04/90)

With 2mb in the machine you need to have the jumper in place as you describe.
With 2.5mb or 4mb you need to completely remove the jumper and save it
in case you latter want to sell the machine and keep the memory.
--
Murdok The Merciless via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!382!54.7!Murdok.The.Merciless

Murdok.The.Merciless@p7.f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Murdok The Merciless) (04/04/90)

In addition to removing the jumper, I recommend keeping the two sets of simms
in the same bank and if they are different speeds, put the two slower simms
in
simm 1 and simm 2 and put the two faster simms in simm 3 an 4.  I may have this
backwards so if it doesn't work try putting the fast simms in 3 and 4
and put the slow ones in 1 and 2.
--

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (04/10/90)

In article <48193.261FF6C3@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG>
Murdok.The.Merciless@p7.f54.n382.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Murdok The Merciless) writes:
>In addition to removing the jumper, I recommend keeping the two sets of simms
>in the same bank and if they are different speeds, put the two slower simms
>in simm 1 and simm 2 and put the two faster simms in simm 3 an 4.  I may have
>this backwards so if it doesn't work try putting the fast simms in 3 and 4
>and put the slow ones in 1 and 2.

As long as all the SIMMs are at least the minimum speed for the machine
you're putting them in, speed is not significant. You can put different
speeds in different banks, or mix speeds within a bank, without any
problem. (However, you need to make sure all the SIMMs within a bank
are the same *density* (e.g. 1M or 256K), and in all Macs prior to the IIci,
if you have different density SIMMs in different banks, the higher-density
SIMMs must be in bank A.)
--
 jdevoto@apple.com  |  You may not distribute this article under a