[comp.sys.mac.hardware] HP DeskWriter + Pro Composer + Mac Plus

samuels@halibut.nosc.mil (Lawrence J. Samuels) (04/10/90)

In article <1990Apr6.182944.2985@athena.mit.edu> kiyoshi@athena.mit.edu (Kiyoshi   Kurihara) writes:

> I'm considering replacing my IM II with HP DW. Some mag article says
> ... <deleted lines >

> I'd like to use it for Professional Composer output on my Mac+. Is
>there anyone with this configuration? I'd like to know hear your
>comments.  How fast will Mac+ print? (I don't expect much. 3 min/page
>is OK. but, if 30min/page, I would decline).
>
>							k.k

Dear

I saw your question on using the HP Deskwriter with Professional Composer.
I just received a letter from Mark of the Unicorn answering my question
about the same thing;  here's their reply:

"Currently there are three problems with Composer and the HP Deskwriter:
	1. Composer crashes after printing.  This should be fixed in an
	   update.
	2. Ties, slurs, and Crescendo markings do not print.  This
	   should be fixed in an update.
        3. Stems on beamed notes do not print.  This is a bug in
           the HP software.  You should contact them to determine
           their plans to fix it."

This info is from their Music Support representative, Neal Lischner.

Personally, I'm going to hold off buying anything till fixes are made,
at least.  I also have some hope that Postscript printer prices may come
down if Adobe has some competition from Apple/Microsoft in
high-quality output.

Larry Samuels
email:  samuels@cod.nosc.mil