[comp.sys.mac.hardware] New HP Inkjet Mac Color Printer?

neil@odin.ucsd.edu (Neil Rhodes) (04/07/90)

>Actually, HP showed this printer (which lists for $2995) at last night's
>general BMUG meeting.  It seemed pretty neat, requires a 32-bit QuickDraw
>driver (which they ship with it), is kinda expensive to run ($.70-$1.40
>per page), and has nice color output for the machine's price (i.e.,
>compares favorably with offerings from Tektronix et al.)  It won't support
>any PostScript cartridges, though it's been tested extensively with
>Freedom of Press for PostScript output.  They'll have them featured
>prominently at next week's Macworld Expo in San Francisco.

The new printer is the PaintWriter XL.  It is extremely similar
to the PaintJet XL, but is an AppleTalk printer, and is better integrated with
the Macintosh environment (paper out status, etc.).

The QuickDraw driver will take advantage of 32-Bit QuickDraw if available
(producing 16.7 million colors via dithering).  If 32-bit QuickDraw is not
available, it will still print up to 256 colors per page.

The printer comes with Compugraphic outline fonts (versions of Times, Symbol,
Helvetica and Courier).  It also supports ATM fonts.

The printer supports transparencies from an auto-sheet feeder, and can print
up to B-size paper.

The driver does background printing via a mechanism very similar to that
used by Apple for the LaserWriter.

If you need  more info, feel free to ask.

NB: I am totally biased, because I wrote much of the software.
Neil Rhodes    Palomar Software, Inc.  neil@odin.ucsd.edu

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) (04/08/90)

Sorry if this gets posted twice.

Neil Rhodes writes:

[...]

Brad Hathaway questions:

What is the resolution in DPI?  How fast is it?  How much do ink
cartridges cost?

John Heckendorn says:

Actually, HP showed this printer (which lists for $2995) at last night's
general BMUG meeting.  It seemed pretty neat, requires a 32-bit QuickDraw
driver (which they ship with it), is kinda expensive to run ($.70-$1.40
per page), and has nice color output for the machine's price (i.e.,
compares favorably with offerings from Tektronix et al.)  It won't support
any PostScript cartridges, though it's been tested extensively with
Freedom of Press for PostScript output.  They'll have them featured
prominently at next week's Macworld Expo in San Francisco.

Brad Hathaway also asks:

Why so expensive?  How does the darned thing work ... with gold-flecked
paint?

Any info is appreciated,

Brad

flames ---> /dev/null

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (04/09/90)

In article <8122@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> neil@odin.ucsd.edu.UUCP (Neil Rhodes) writes (among other things):

>The QuickDraw driver will take advantage of 32-Bit QuickDraw if available
>(producing 16.7 million colors via dithering).  If 32-bit QuickDraw is not
>available, it will still print up to 256 colors per page.

The HP engineers showing the machine remarked that in the absence of
32-bit QuickDraw, the machine would only output 8 colors (i.e., old Color
QuickDraw, which programs like Excel use).  Anyone from HP out there who
can confirm one way or the other?

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |

In article <Ua7ggIi00WBKM1F3xO@andrew.cmu.edu> bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) writes:

>What is the resolution in DPI?  How fast is it?  How much do ink
>cartridges cost?

I don't recall *precisely* the DPI, but it seemed to be around 200-250.
It printed reasonably quickly (they ran a 32-bit Pixel Paint-type
illustration through, and it took about a minute and a half).  Ink
cartridges list for about $30 each (the printer uses four: CYMK).

>Why so expensive?  How does the darned thing work ... with gold-flecked
>paint?

Actually, $3000 list is not bad for an AppleTalk-compatible color printer
(this is near the low end, unless you count an ImageWriter II with color
ribbon -- yecch!).  What makes it expensive is using HP's special paper
(although you'll also get results -- admittedly with less quality -- with plain
paper) and replacing the cartridges every 500-1000 prints.  The quality
of the output is good, and for people who need to do color proofing
or small scale jobs where magazine-quality output is not an issue,
it seems like a good value.  In my opinion, the next step up is a QMS
ColorScript printer, which will set you back over $10,000.

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (04/10/90)

In article <1990Apr9.155553.20402@agate.berkeley.edu> bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) writes:
>In article <Ua7ggIi00WBKM1F3xO@andrew.cmu.edu> bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) writes:
>>
>In my opinion, the next step up is a QMS
>ColorScript printer, which will set you back over $10,000.

Actually, I believe that Tektronics has a few nice options
in the area of $3000.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock '90            | DISCLAIMER: I'm graduating and looking for
Consultant                 |             a job, so I'll stand by my words.

johnk@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (John Knippers) (04/11/90)

We've remained silent long enough!

Everybody seems to be talking about the HP Paintjet XL printer
(except our friend from Dartmouth, Ken Hancock), but some facts
about the Tektronix ColorQuick would be relevant to the discussion.

			HP Paintjet XL		Tektronix ColorQuick

List Price	   	   $2495			$2495
Resolution(DPI)             180				 216 (3x Mac screen)
Cost/copy (8 1/2 x11) 	   $.70	(reported here)		$.22
Ink Cost		     ?				$12/6cc
Paper Cost		     ?				$38/500 shts
Interfaces		Appletalk,?		SCSI, Centronics (parallel)
Background Printing	    yes				  no
Time / print		     ?				50 secs
Media Type		Paper,transparency	Paper,transparency
Auto Sheet Feed		    yes				 yes
Media Size		A, legal, B		A, legal, B
						also roll media & tractor feed

The ColorQuick comes with a Macintosh driver, cables and the TekColor
application which can match printer output color to the colors on
your monitor - a Tek exclusive.
  The ColorQuick is also being featured at MacWorld in San Francisco.
Check out the print quality and the color brilliance and compare it
with the Paintjet XL.  Then make your decision.

The ColorQuick team at Tektronix.