[net.columbia] Sen. Glenn's comments

eros@chovax.DEC (01/30/86)

	Sen. John Glenn, D-Ohio, noted that he had earlier been
	critical of NASA's decision to allow non-astronauts,
	such as teacher Christa McAuliffe, to ride in the
	shuttles.  "I never was a big proponent of that", he
	said.  "The main reason for having a [space] program
	is basic fundamental research.  It's not just to see
	whether we can put the butcher, the baker, the candle-
	stick maker on these rides.

				- Los Angeles Times

I find it very difficult to accept these statements.  The implication that
Christa McAuliffe's role in the ill-fated Challenger mission was somehow
beneath the dignity of the shuttle program is insulting.  Hers was the
opportunity to present a layperson's view of space both to the common man
and to thousands of children; a worthwhile endeavor if for no other reason
than because it was for the benefit of those responsible, both today and
tomorrow, for the money that funds the space program.

Space is not only for the test pilot and the engineer; it is for all of
mankind.  Christa McAuliffe was to show us that the 'right stuff' could
be found within each and every one of us.

-- Anthony L. Eros
   Digital Equipment Corporation

   decwrl!chovax!eros

"My opinions are my own - who else would want them?"

In article <822@decwrl.DEC.COM> eros@chovax.DEC writes:

>Space is not only for the test pilot and the engineer; it is for all of
>mankind.  Christa McAuliffe was to show us that the 'right stuff' could
>be found within each and every one of us.

        So true. Especially since I consider one of the long term
goals of the space program to be the *colonization* of space!
Eventually we civilians will be *living* out there. We have to start
going sometime! Christa McAuliffe is one of thise who died opening up
a new frontier. How many died colonizing the American West? She is the
first of a new generation of pioneers.
--

                                Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa