[comp.sys.mac.hardware] cd rom formats

In article <90.096.22:36:01@smurf.sub.org> urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>Be aware that the NEC is a portable player. I looked at it a few weeks ago,
>it's one comparatively shock proof.
>So, this one is not only "quite" slow, it is _really_slow_. It has an average
>access time (this, BTW, being defined as the speed of seeking across one third
>of a full disc and reading the sector there) of one point five _seconds_.

It is however, the ONLY CD-ROM player I've seen that can play CD's when
the Mac is not turned on (it has it's own play button).  Has anyone seen
any others?  I'm going to be buying a ROM drive real soon (my CD player
is dieing anyway) but barring a faster drive than the NEC that also has
a play button I guess I'll be going with the Apple drive.

						-kee

| Alphalpha Software, Inc. | Voice/Fax: 617/646-7703 |   Home: 617/641-3805   |
| 148 Scituate St.         | Smart fax, dial number. |                        |
| Arlington, MA 02174      | Dumb fax, dial number,  |   BBS:  617/641-3722   |
| nazgul@alphalpha.com     | wait for ring, press 3. |   300/1200/2400 baud   |

fiddler@concertina.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (04/13/90)

In article <1990Apr10.041030.1789@alphalpha.com>, nazgul@alphalpha.com (Kee Hinckley) writes:
> In article <90.096.22:36:01@smurf.sub.org> urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
> >Be aware that the NEC is a portable player. I looked at it a few weeks ago,
>
> It is however, the ONLY CD-ROM player I've seen that can play CD's when
> the Mac is not turned on (it has it's own play button).  Has anyone seen
> any others?  I'm going to be buying a ROM drive real soon (my CD player
> is dieing anyway) but barring a faster drive than the NEC that also has
> a play button I guess I'll be going with the Apple drive.

Before you go with the Apple drive, you might want to consider something
using the Toshiba drive mechanism.  CD Technology, Inc. in San Jose makes
one (I just got one.)  The Toshiba drive is about twice as fast as Apple's,
and it's slow enough.  Costs less, too.  ComputerWare has them, among other
places.

The manual from CD Technology is pretty bad.  Actually, it's very bad.
(I'm a tech writer, if it makes any difference.)  Even so, it isn't
hard to set up the drive, and you get an Image Club CD-ROM bundled
with the drive.  Some PostScript fonts (type 3) and clip art is unlocked,
the rest you have to pay for keys to unlock.  Might be worth something
to some people.

I like the drive anyway.

"Up the airey mountain, down the rushy glen,
   we daren't go a-hunting for fear of little men..."
('cause Fish and Game has taken to hiring axe-carrying dwarves)