[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Hard Disk Initialisation Software

mamcCloud@lbl.gov (Michael McCloud) (04/05/90)

I'd recommend that you get a copy of La Cie, Ltd's "SilverLining 5.2".  I
have used it to initialize darn near any type of Hard drive there is ( am
currently running a Wren II 43 Meg ST-412  interface drive with an SMS
OMTI 3105 ST-412 to SCSI Controller ). The software has excellent
documentation and allows you to format, initialize and hard partition
(i.e. - no special INIT for partition mounting), test, map out bad blocks
etc.

SilverLining can only be bought through La Cie ( at a cost of
approximately $90, I believe ).

Their Address is:

     La Cie, Ltd.
     16285 SW 85th #306
     Tigard, OR  97724

        Tel # (503) 684-0143

I hope you find this information useful. Don't Email to me please, I don't
yet have an Email address.

Disclaimer - - My opinions are my own.

Michael McCloud
Mailstop 51-208
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, Ca. 94720
(415) 486-5373

pdel@zodiac.ADS.COM (Peter Delevoryas) (04/09/90)

>I'd recommend that you get a copy of La Cie, Ltd's "SilverLining 5.2".

Seconded! I just lost one of my drives to a power-out at home (my fridge
'hiccups' sometimes and sends out nasty voltage spikes, tripping the circuit
breaker). I couldn't do anything to it with anything other than Silverlining.

On an unrelated note, I've had only problems with this seagate drive in
this box that a surplus store sold me. Main problem seems to be that it
doesn't auto-park the heads. My Jasmine 80 direct-drive has had no problems
going through power-cycles, power-outs, etc.(the Jasmine has auto-park heads).

Peter D.

brady@swift.cs.tcd.ie (04/09/90)

First, I'd like to thank everyone who gave me advice about
disk initialisation software - *every* one of you
recommended SilverLining, so I ordered it direct.

One question that arises is this: it seems that
some versions (?) of SL use an INIT to remember the
partitions made. Does this mean that the hard disk
so partitioned can't be used as a boot disk? If so
that's a real bummer, n'est ce pas?
Mike

sls@zodiac (Shelley L. Shostak) (04/10/90)

In article <5316@helios.ee.lbl.gov> mamcCloud@lbl.gov (Michael McCloud) writes:
>I'd recommend that you get a copy of La Cie, Ltd's "SilverLining 5.2".  I
>have used it to initialize darn near any type of Hard drive there is ( am
>
>Disclaimer - - My opinions are my own.

>Michael McCloud
>Mailstop 51-208
>Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
>1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, Ca. 94720
>(415) 486-5373

We have 4 80MB disk bought from LaCie. They were formatted with Silver
Lining 5.2/06. THEY SUCK BIG TIME! If you hit the reset switch or have
a power failure, the disk cannot be mounted. You have the option to
initialize the disk, which many users do without realizing what this
operation does. The only way to get the disk to mount is to use
SilverLining to mount the disk TWICE, then it will tell you it has
a bad master directory and use Disk First Aid. The idiots at LaCie
told me that that was SUPPOSED to happen and that you shouldn't
reset your mac!

I WOULD AVOID LACIE LIKE THE PLAGUE!

Shelley

Disclaimer: These opinions are my own.

--
	Shelley L. Shostak			(919) 684-8279
	Duke University Dept. of Physics	sls@zodiac.phy.duke.edu

tj@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Tom Johnson) (04/13/90)

In article <18813@duke.cs.duke.edu> sls@zodiac.phy.duke.edu (Shelley L. Shostak) writes:
>We have 4 80MB disk bought from LaCie. They were formatted with Silver
>Lining 5.2/06. THEY SUCK BIG TIME! If you hit the reset switch or have
>a power failure, the disk cannot be mounted. You have the option to
>
>I WOULD AVOID LACIE LIKE THE PLAGUE!
>
>	Shelley L. Shostak			(919) 684-8279
>	Duke University Dept. of Physics	sls@zodiac.phy.duke.edu
>	Durham, N.C.      27706

I use SilverLining all of the time on dozens of hard drives, ranging
from Quantum 80s and 105s to MicroNet 20s and 30s to Wren 173s.  I have
never seen a problem like this before.  The machine I am using now
has a Q280 and a Wren 173 attached--I hit the reset switch all of the
time without a problem.  All of the macs in our public labs have
been formatted with SilverLining so we can partition the drives into
multiple volumes, complete with different passwords for each
partition.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Silver Lining.

       Tom Johnson      UCLA Computer Science Department
			3413 Boelter Hall, Los Angeles CA 90024 (213)825-6952
			UUCP:      {uunet,rutgers,ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tj
			Internet:  tj@cs.ucla.edu