[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Apple HD40SC Problems.*HELP!*

matthew@pawl11.pawl.rpi.edu (Matthew J Bellantoni) (04/13/90)

Hello! I am having trouble with my Apple HD40SC External hard drive. Here's the
symptoms:

	<Power Up>
	The fan turns on.
	Then something begin to move but then makes a *chunk* sound.
	The disk is not moving! (It's charactaristic humming sound isn't
	there)
	Then the LED blinks 7 times and then nothing happens....

What's happening! Please E-MAIL me the response, as I need the response very
quickly! Thanks a bunch!

matthew

scb1@tank.uchicago.edu (Sam Blackman) (04/13/90)

In article <77Q#PA-@rpi.edu> matthew@pawl11.pawl.rpi.edu (Matthew J Bellantoni) writes:
>Hello! I am having trouble with my Apple HD40SC External hard drive. Here's the
>symptoms:
>
>	<Power Up>
>	Then something begin to move but then makes a *chunk* sound.
>	The disk is not moving! (It's charactaristic humming sound isn't
>	there)
>	Then the LED blinks 7 times and then nothing happens....

Sound like you're drive has died.  There are a couple of things that you
can now do ...

1.) First (and most recommended), go to your Authorized Apple Service Center
and have them identify whether or not your drive qualifies for the RETURN
EXTENTION AUTHORIZATION (REA) program #2E5791 - they should be able to tell
by looking at the serial number on the back of your hard drive.  If it
does, then they should replace your drive for free (which doesn't quite
solve the problem of your lost data ... but it saves you $$$).

2.) If it doesn't qualify, then you're probably going to have to buy a
new drive.

3.) If you really want to try to save your data, you can look for a data
recovery firm which will attempt to ressurect your HD, or will remove the
platters from in the drive and attempt to recover the data by transplanting
them (this is VERY expensive work, though).

Best of luck ...

Sam Blackman
University of Chicago
Campus Computer Stores Service Center

--
Samuel C. Blackman        ! InterNet : scb1@tank.uchicago.edu   Link : UG0184
University of Chicago     ! Disclaimer : Who cares what I say? I'm a student !