[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Memory Upgrades

tom@fangorn.gsfc.nasa.gov (Thomas D. Schardt) (04/12/90)

We have four Mac IIs and a Mac IIcx and are going to load them up
with memory.  Are there any limitations on the speed of the SIMMs
we buy?  I assume we can't mix and match 80ns, 100ns, and 120ns
chips.  Also, can we take 1MB SIMMs out of the IIs and put them in
a Mac Plus?  Are there any speed limitations (or other limitations)
to doing this?

Thanks,
Tom Schardt                        Bitnet:    K4TDS at SCFVM
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center   Internet:  K4TDS@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV
Code 632                           Opinions expressed are my own and do not
Greenbelt, MD 20771                necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (04/13/90)

In article <1626@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> tom@fangorn.gsfc.nasa.gov
(Thomas D. Schardt) writes:
>We have four Mac IIs and a Mac IIcx and are going to load them up
>with memory.  Are there any limitations on the speed of the SIMMs
>we buy?  I assume we can't mix and match 80ns, 100ns, and 120ns
>chips.  Also, can we take 1MB SIMMs out of the IIs and put them in
>a Mac Plus?  Are there any speed limitations (or other limitations)
>to doing this?

For both these machines, you need SIMMs that are 120 ns or faster.
Both have 2 banks of 4 SIMM sockets each. You can mix speeds as
you like, since memory access on the Mac is synchronous; however,
all SIMMs in a given bank must be the same density, and each bank
must be either completely full or completely empty. This means the
possible configurations using 1M or 256K SIMMs are:

  BANK A    BANK B      TOTAL
  4 256K     none        1M
  4 256K    4 256K       2M
  4 1M       none        4M
  4 1M      4 256K       5M
  4 1M      4 1M         8M

The Plus (and SE) require SIMMs of the same type, 150 ns or faster, so
any SIMMs fast enough to work in a II will work fine in a Plus. The Plus
and SE have 2 banks of 2 SIMM sockets each and follow the same rules as
above, so the possible configurations for these machines are 512K, 1M,
2M, 2.5M, or 4M.
--
 jdevoto@apple.com  |  You may not distribute this article under a