[comp.sys.mac.hardware] IIfx/NTX SIMM question

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (04/14/90)

I know that you can't use NTX SIMMs in an fx, because of speed problems.
What about using fx SIMMS in an NTX?  I think I saw somewhere that you
could, but I'm not positive.

I thought of this question when I saw an add in the back of this week's
MacWeek offering fx SIMMs for $129 and NTX SIMMs for $199...

--
Ted Woodward (s320@cs.utexas.edu)

Someone shot the food...

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (04/14/90)

In article <49@victoria.cs.utexas.edu> ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) writes:
>I know that you can't use NTX SIMMs in an fx, because of speed problems.
>What about using fx SIMMS in an NTX?  I think I saw somewhere that you
>could, but I'm not positive.

The number of pins is the same, but the pin USAGE is different.  The two types
of simms are NOT compatible.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

rbrewer@reed.UUCP (Robert S. Brewer) (04/14/90)

In article <49@victoria.cs.utexas.edu> ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) writes:
>I know that you can't use NTX SIMMs in an fx, because of speed problems.
>What about using fx SIMMS in an NTX?  I think I saw somewhere that you
>could, but I'm not positive.
>
>I thought of this question when I saw an add in the back of this week's
>MacWeek offering fx SIMMs for $129 and NTX SIMMs for $199...
>
>--
>Ted Woodward (s320@cs.utexas.edu)

I have heard some Apple person say (informally on the net) that the structure
of NTX SIMMs are the same as IIfx SIMMs. The trick is that fx SIMMs run at
80ns (I think. Perhaps 70ns?), while NTX SIMMs run at 150ns (or is that
120ns). Anyway, I believe the only difference is speed, and I believe the
general net.consensus is that you can use faster SIMMs at no penalty.

So it looks like it would be cheaper to get fx SIMMs for your NTX.

Note: The above is sketchy information. If you plug fx SIMMs into your NTX,
you take your hardware into your own hands. I take no responsibility.
--
Robert S. Brewer
brewer@wri.com (uunet!wri!brewer) or rbrewer@reed.UUCP (tektronix!reed!rbrewer)