[comp.sys.mac.hardware] MacZone Mac+ memory upgrade kit - my bad experience

nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) (04/14/90)

I ordered a 2MB upgrade from MacZone the other day.  Cost=168 or $84/MB.
I *also* ordered the 'tool kit' for $15.

The order came *without* any installation instructions other than those
provided with the SIMMs, nor with any instructions for using the tools. I
called MacZone and they send out (airfreight) the instruction book, and
a one page errata sheet.  Still no instructions for how to use the spring
clip which is intended to be used as a case-spreader.  The grounding wrist
strap had a single *male* ground pin in it, which is useless to plug into
the *male* plug in the back of the Mac+.  However, being the rash type, I
decided to go ahead, as I have have installed pc boards before and was able to
make a suitable grounding strap from spare parts.

Got the case open OK, got the SIMMs in OK, but then I had to remove the 256K
resistor.  The instructions in the MacZone book refer to resister R8, but
the errata sheet pointedly says to 'ignore any reference to resistor R8'.
So I clipped resister R6, the one just *above* the words 'memory size'.

WRONG!!!!  Friday the 13th strikes again!!
Now my Mac is in in the shop for a week or so, and I will probably be
out another $40-50.  (I know my limitations well enough to know I don't have
the tools or skills needed to solder on a fairly crowded motherboard.)

Moral of story:  DON'T USE THE MACZONE'S INSTRUCTION BOOK!!!!
(The errata sheet says the book is being rewritten, I think I know why!)
Incidentally, although MacZone opens for *sales* at 5 a.m. Pacific time,
tech support doesn't show up until 9.  (11 central, 12 eastern)
Mike Nolan                                        The above is the result of
(UUCP: ... frith.egr.msu.edu!upba!tssi!nolan)     exhaustive research, careful
Tailored Software Services, Inc.                  analysis, and prolonged
Lincoln, Nebraska                                 deliberation--after which I
(402) 423-1490                                    flipped a coin.  (And lost!)

Direct flames to alt.flame, which I DON'T read!  I feel bad enough already.

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (04/14/90)

In article <1611@tssi.UUCP> nolan@tssi.UUCP (Michael Nolan) writes:
>I ordered a 2MB upgrade from MacZone the other day.  Cost=168 or $84/MB.
>I *also* ordered the 'tool kit' for $15.
>
>The order came *without* any installation instructions other than those
>provided with the SIMMs, nor with any instructions for using the tools.

I recommend to anyone installing SIMMs to read Technote 176.  It provides
all the steps needed: jumper re/moval, resistor snipping, pictures, etc.
It's much better than any of these cheap little instruction books I've
seen.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock '90            | DISCLAIMER: I'm graduating and looking for
Consultant                 |             a job, so I'll stand by my words.