[comp.sys.mac.hardware] HP LaserJet III & Mac?

tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (05/02/90)

In article <UaDGNIm00WBLM3bmU1@andrew.cmu.edu> bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) writes:

>vary the size of it's dots, is the resolution effectively enhanced?
>(that's what's implied by the ads, but who knows ...)

The resolution, if you take a look at text generated and
graphics, is noticeably sharper than a regular LaserJet II or
a III with RET turned off.  The hardware is capable of
printing at least 1000dpi, but that needs special controllers.
Why HP at Boise doesn't make a 1000dpi LaserJet is beyond me--
they should!

>If there are multiple drivers that will work with the printer, which
>is best and why?

I'm not sure about this but I think you should be able to use the
MacPrint-type products to use a LaserJet III with a Mac.

>Is HP planning to create (or has already created) a driver for use
>with the Mac?

The AppleTalk interface has already been announced for the
LaserJet III.  In order to use the AppleTalk interface, you must
buy the PostScript cartridge and upgrade the printer to have at
least 2 megabytes of RAM.  Since the AppleTalk interface is
described as a "kit," there are drivers available from HP.

Ken

        Kenneth K.F. Lui        |   Other paths you can use:
        tempest@csuchico.edu    |   tempest@csuchico.edu, tempest@csuchico