[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Low Cost Mac

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (05/02/90)

In article <1990Apr18.071417.21331@laguna.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>aj1826@dean1.usma.edu (DiGangi Joe CPT) writes:
>
>>I didn't buy a portable earlier, because I wanted at least a 68030 so I
>>can run System 7 eventually.  I understand Apple's design decision to go
>>with a CMOS 68000, but now I'm wondering when the 68030 (68040?) portable
>>will debut.

Some of you may have missed the short note in EBN (Electronic Buyer's
News) a few weeks ago:

"More 68000s in The Work

Motorola has discussions under way with computer manufacturers about
the use of the newest version of the 68000 microprocessor in upcoming
systems.  The device should be released in August or September in
conjunction with an announcement from a major system manufacturer,
said a Motorola marketing official.  An enhanced version of an
existing 68000 device is scheduled to be introduced next month."

My guess is that the August announcement will be of the rumored 68025;
which is based on an '040, stripped down, with a 16-bit bus interface.
Intel has been killing Motorola with the 386sx - the low-cost, 16-bit
bus version of the 80386.  Motorola has to respond with a 68k chip
that has an MMU and a 16-bit bus.

What better to put in the Low Cost Mac??  The new chip is likely to be
based on the '040 rather than the '030, because the '030 was essentially
designed and laid out by hand, unlike the '040 (they used computers in
designing the '040!!)  Of course, they can also tweak the '025 to be
more "cmosish" - to use less power.  So it could be used in a new
Portable, or a Portable upgrade.

And how about an Plus/25!?  A Plus upgrade to something with an MMU?!
--
steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or ...!dartvax!steve.ligett