[net.columbia] Fuel reserve

ins_apmj@jhunix.UUCP (Patrick M Juola) (02/01/86)

In article <437@umich.UUCP> cja@umich.UUCP (Charles J. Antonelli) writes:
>During an abort I suspect the orbiter must be flown away from the
>tank/SRB assembly.  Does anyone know if there is a small fuel
>reserve within the orbiter for such an occasion?

The orbiter has to have enough fuel on-board to eject from orbit and land.
I'm sure that this fuel would be used in an abort if a fuel reserve was
necessary.

ins_aeas@jhunix.UUCP (Earle A .Sugar) (02/01/86)

> In article <437@umich.UUCP> cja@umich.UUCP (Charles J. Antonelli) writes:
> >During an abort I suspect the orbiter must be flown away from the
> >tank/SRB assembly.  Does anyone know if there is a small fuel
> >reserve within the orbiter for such an occasion?
>
> The orbiter has to have enough fuel on-board to eject from orbit and land.
> I'm sure that this fuel would be used in an abort if a fuel reserve was
> necessary.
The shuttle, as far as I understand, has fuel on board for the OMS (Orbital
Manuvering System) rockets that make attitude and minor altitude corrections
in orbit, but this system is separate from the main engines used for launch.
I doubt that the tiny manuvering rockets would have much effect on an object
of such mass as the space shuttle in addition to overcoming the aerodynamic
forces acting on the vehicle in an atmosphere.

Earle A. Sugar
Disclaimer:"I doubt anyone else here agrees with me."
          USENET: ...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_aeas
          CSNET:ins_aeas@jhunix.csnet
          ARPA:ins_aeas%jhunix.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
	  BITNET: INS_BEAS@JHUVMS (as a last resort)
"If you don't expect anything, you'll never be dissappointed."
	  or call 301-889-0815 after 6 P.M. EST

john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) (02/04/86)

In article <1689@jhunix.UUCP> ins_aeas@jhunix.UUCP (Earle A .Sugar) writes:
>> In article <437@umich.UUCP> cja@umich.UUCP (Charles J. Antonelli) writes:
>> >During an abort I suspect the orbiter must be flown away from the
>> >tank/SRB assembly.  Does anyone know if there is a small fuel
>> >reserve within the orbiter for such an occasion?
>>
>> The orbiter has to have enough fuel on-board to eject from orbit and land.
>> I'm sure that this fuel would be used in an abort if a fuel reserve was
>> necessary.
>The shuttle, as far as I understand, has fuel on board for the OMS (Orbital
>Manuvering System) rockets that make attitude and minor altitude corrections
>in orbit, but this system is separate from the main engines used for launch.
>I doubt that the tiny manuvering rockets would have much effect on an object
>of such mass as the space shuttle in addition to overcoming the aerodynamic
>forces acting on the vehicle in an atmosphere.
At the velocity the shuttle was travelling during last week's accident,
just pulling back on the stick until the shuttle was upside down and level
would have left it with a lot of horizontal velocity - enough to get it
miles away from the booster stack.
--
John Moore (NJ7E/XE1HDO)
{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!john