[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 800K drives read MS-DOS???

mdc@spt.entity.com (Marty Connor) (05/02/90)

In article <40653@apple.Apple.COM> marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) writes:
>In article <13181@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
>>
>>Is there a plug or something that you can jack into a port that lets
>>you read/write MS-DOS disks with the normal Mac drives?  I seem to
>>recall hearing abou tit, but I don't know where?
>>
>>How does this compare price-wise with any other options (short of
>>FDHD) for reading MS-DOS disks?
>>
>Kennect makes a product called "Rapport" (mail order under $250...maybe under
>$200, I'm not sure).  By plugging it into the disk port (back of your Mac)
>and then connecting an external Mac drive to it, you can read and write (but
>not format) MS-DOS (720K) disks in that external drive (you can also read them
>in the internal drive--you can only read, you can't format or write them).
>Mark Dawson                Service Diagnostic Engineering

Actually, you can format them.  Apple file exchange will work with the
Rapport, and let you format a 720K diskette in a conntected external
drive.  You can't use the ERASE disk on the SPECIAL menu, though.

The Internal drive (with Rapport attached to external drive plug) is
somehow enobled to be able to read DOS and ProDos 720K disks.

Another product of interest that works with Rapport, is DOS Mounter
from Dayna.  It lets the MS-DOS disks appear on the desktop like MACOS
disks, with little icons and everything.  Works pretty well.  You can
treat them like other Mac disks, and run applications that read from
them, and stuff like that.  Neat trick.

Kennect sells a high density drive called the Drive 2400 or something
close that (with Rapport) lets you read high density disks.  Next time
I have .25K to spare, I'm gonna try one.

A few more bits for your byte...

Marty

[usual revolutionary comments]

--
Marty Connor, Marty's Computer Workshop,  "Specializing in Macintosh Training"
126 Inman Street, Cambridge, MA 02139; (617) 491-6935

marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) (05/03/90)

>In article <40653@apple.Apple.COM> marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) writes:
>>In article <13181@venera.isi.edu> jas@ISI.EDU (Jeff Sullivan) writes:
>>Kennect makes a product called "Rapport" (mail order under $250...maybe under
 [stuff deleted]

>Actually, you can format them.  Apple file exchange will work with the
>Rapport, and let you format a 720K diskette in a conntected external
>drive.  You can't use the ERASE disk on the SPECIAL menu, though.
>

>Marty
>Marty Connor, Marty's Computer Workshop,  "Specializing in Macintosh Training"
>126 Inman Street, Cambridge, MA 02139; (617) 491-6935
>mdc@entity.com, or ...{harvard|uunet}!mit-eddie!spt!mdc

You can't format MSDOS disks using the regular 800K drives using Rapport (you
can using the Drive2.4 they sell, but not using the Apple 800K drives).  If
that is what you meant, then your were/are correct (I wrote the original
Mac software for Rapport && just called Kennect to verify they haven't changed
that section of it).

I agree that its a good product (not that it would have anything to do with
the fact that I spent 1-1 1/2 years of my life writing the software for it).

Mark
--
---------------------------------
Mark Dawson                Service Diagnostic Engineering

Apple says what it says; I say what I say.  We're different
---------------------------------

jem@hpisod2.HP.COM (Jim McCauley) (05/03/90)

> Is there a plug or something that you can jack into a port that lets
> you read/write MS-DOS disks with the normal Mac drives?

Kennect Technology makes the Rapport, which plugs into the Mac's
floppy port.  With it in place, the internal Mac drive can read 720K
MS-DOS disks.  An 800K external Mac drive plugged into the Rapport can
read, write and format 720K MS-DOS disks.  If you buy Kennect's Drive
2.4 external drive and connect it to the Rapport, you can read, write
and format both 720K and 1.44M disks, as well as use a variety of
special formats.

You can get Rapport from MacWarehouse for $199; they also sell Drive
2.4 (without Rapport) for $329.

By the way, Rapport works with Dayna's DOS Mounter software, but it's
pretty slow.

Jim McCauley          jem@hpulpcu3.hp.com       (408) 447-4993
Learning Products Engineer
Hewlett Packard Company, General Systems Division
MS 48SO, 19447 Pruneridge Avenue, Cupertino CA  95014
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own, not my employer's.