[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 5.886 MHz Crystals

meuchen@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Paul Eric Menchen) (02/17/90)

In article <216@brain.UUCP> root@brain.UUCP (Chuck Shotton) writes:
>3) a source for the ceramic resonator listed in the parts list. I can't find
>   this thing anywhere. The factory, muRata Erie, won't sell direct, and all of
>   their distributors have minimum orders of $200.

I'm also looking for this.  If anyone else out there has any info on a
source, please e-mail me.  ALSO, e-mail if you would like me to get
you one.  The EE labs here at Penn might buy some of these if I can
sell some of them. Hopeful scenario goes like this: EE lab buys 40 to
meet minimum order (maybe they can negotiate or buy some other things
too-they buy a lot of stuff). I sell 30 of them for the lab. You get a
crystal, I get a crystal, and the lab only ends up with 10. I'm not
looking to make any money, just cover the costs.

Paul Eric Menchen
meuchen@grad1.cis.upenn.edu

rich@sdchemf (Richard Kanner) (02/20/90)

In article <20509@netnews.upenn.edu> meuchen@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Paul Eric Menchen) writes:
>In article <216@brain.UUCP> root@brain.UUCP (Chuck Shotton) writes:
>>3) a source for the ceramic resonator listed in the parts list. I can't find
>>   this thing anywhere. The factory, muRata Erie, won't sell direct, and all of
>>   their distributors have minimum orders of $200.
>
>I'm also looking for this.  If anyone else out there has any info on a
>source, please e-mail me.  ALSO, e-mail if you would like me to get

 I too am looking for the all important ceramic resonator.  I called Newark
and they called muRata Erie to see about ordering the part.  They
informed me that muRata Erie, did not have any of these parts in
stock and that in order to obtain the all important
ceramic resonators there would be a 1000 pc min order at $0.60/pc.
and they would start a production run. Oh well so much for an easy
to build Sound Input Device.  May be there is a substitue for the
muRata Erie part number.

					R. Kanner
					UCSD Chem

wille@hpccc.HP.COM (Ross Wille) (05/03/90)

SID hackers-

Shouldn't the A/D converter have a sample & hold in front of it?  Since
it is using successive approximation, the input should be stable during
the entire conversion time.  Maybe the A/D has a built-in S&H but I'd
think not.  Maybe it just works well enough with out one.  Anybody know?

-Ross

mikec@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (Mike E. Ciholas) (05/03/90)

In article <11220003@hpccc.HP.COM> wille@hpccc.HP.COM (Ross Wille) writes:
>Shouldn't the A/D converter have a sample & hold in front of it?  Since
>it is using successive approximation, the input should be stable during
>the entire conversion time.  Maybe the A/D has a built-in S&H but I'd
>think not.  Maybe it just works well enough with out one.  Anybody know?
>
>-Ross

The ADC0831 has a sample and hold on it, when the conversion start pulse
comes, it samples for one high period of the conversion clock, then
ignores the input.  Very nice chip, all in all.

Look for a posting soon about SID circuit board status.  Don't anybody out
there try to buy a 1.558MHz thingy! (hint :-)

Mike Ciholas

email:  mikec@ai.mit.edu
snail:  289 Highland Ave, #108/Somerville, MA 02144
phone:  (617) 623-3563
air:    N1909C, 1954 Cessna 170B