[comp.sys.mac.hardware] PC compatible monitors for the Mac II?

cs132096@cslab5g.cs.brown.edu (Heng-Yi Lin) (05/03/90)

Afternoon, netters!

I would like to have some information on hooking up PC compatible
monitors (mutliscan? multisync?) for the Mac IIs.

I have a IIcx with Apple's high resoluton (8-bit) video card that I am
taking home (Taiwan) with me for the summer.  I was planning to purchase
a new 13" RGB monitor from the Apple dealer in my home area so I
wouldn't need to carry or ship my exsiting monitor, thus avoiding
the chance of damages.

However, the Apple dealer in my home area does not sell monitor only.
They want me to buy the whole system, priced at over $10,000 for a
IIcx with 4 mb RAM, 80 mb HD, and Apple 13" RGB monitor.  Talk about
ripping people off!  How wrong I was to assume Apple's reducing prices
in Asia would benefit me!!!

Since PC's monitors (those manufactured by NEC, Panasonic, and etc)
can be acquired relatively trouble-free, I am thinking about hooking
up a one of those beasties to the IIcx. However, I do not know too
much about these monitors.  Can this be done?  What kind of monitors
have people used with the Apple video card successfully?  What about
cabling?  I am looking for something with high resolution and in the
range of 13" to 16".  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

-Heng

  Heng-Yi Lin | Class of 1992 | Brown University Computer Science Department
  Until May 17, 1990: cs132096@cs.brown.edu | cs132096@browncs.bitnet
  Until May 17, 1992: st702478@brownvm.brown.edu | st702478@brownvm.bitnet

georgeh@Neon.Stanford.EDU (George T Hu) (05/03/90)

In article <38487@brunix.UUCP> cs132096@cslab5g.cs.brown.edu (Heng-Yi Lin) writes:
>I would like to have some information on hooking up PC compatible
>monitors (mutliscan? multisync?) for the Mac IIs.

I purchased a Mitsubishi AUM-1381 Diamondscan monitor for $500 from
a company called PC Brand, including tilt/swivel.  It works on Mac, IBM,
and even (get this!) Composite TV signals!  I love it because I just
happen to have a Mac, IBM, and VCR in a small dorm room that can only
support the size of one monitor.  It's quite readable (I am online at
least 1hr/day without any eyestrain), but noticeably worse than the
Apple monitors.

I shopped around before I bought my diamondscan, and found that Apple
had the best sharpness.  Noone else was even close.  The diamondscan
is dirt cheap, and it runs everything!  I'd buy it again.

You'll have to look up PC Brand in a PC Magazine or something to find
their number.  The cable for Mac costs $30.

George Hu