[comp.sys.mac.hardware] UnMouse

twatson@pbs.uucp (ThomCat) (05/03/90)

I received a flyer in the mail for an alternative input device called the
UnMouse. It combines an absolute positioning devide, with a relative
positioning device (i.e. you use your finger to either touch a point that
maps directly to a screen position, or use your finger like a mouse), with
a very small graphics tablet (using a stylus) about 3" x 4". It looks quite
promising, but I haven't been able to see it demonstrated anywhere yet.

Has anyone used one of these? Is it as neat as it looks?
--
DISCLAIMER: Sometimes I speak for PBS. This is probably not one of those times.
 Thom Watson                    Telephone:  703-739-5394     FAX: 703-739-5358

wallich@wixer.metaphor.com (05/04/90)

In article <8084.263edb34@pbs.uucp> twatson@pbs.uucp (ThomCat) writes:

> I received a flyer in the mail for an alternative input device called the
> UnMouse. [...]

> Has anyone used one of these? Is it as neat as it looks?

I played with one for 5 minutes or so at the West Coast MacWorld.  It was
fairly nice, although not for everyone.  They make a really big deal about
the virtual function keys which are 16, or perhaps more (I don't remember)
logical areas of the touchpad that when used in conjunction with the 'big
red button' activate macros.  Whoopee...

Since this is an alternate mouse, what *I* really care about is how
well I can move about the screen.  It worked pretty well.  There is
both an absolute mode (press on the pad, and the mouse goes to the
same logical point), or relative mode which lets your finger act like
a mouse.  These are toggled with the 'big red button' and a user
defined position on the touchpad.  The touchpad gives a reasurring
physical 'click' when you press on it, to indicate a logical button
press.  You drag things by clicking, moving, and clicking (there may
be other modes, but that is how the one I used seemed to work).

One issue for me is how the alternate device deals with multiple
monitors, especially if their combined configuration is not a
rectangle (like with an SEish machine and an external monitor, or in
my case a MacII with two different sizes).  In the UnMouses' case, you
need to be in relative mode to go from one screen to the other, and
then you can go into absolute mode.  The folks there claimed it would
then remap to the dimensions of the new screen.  If it works as
advertised, this is an acceptable solution.

A potential problem arose when the proud salesthing was telling me how
you didn't need to worry about absolute remapping because the UnMouse
had a resolution of 1 MILLION pixels!  He wasn't as proud when I
pointed out that virtually every two page display (19" or greater
monitors, or the 16" trinitron from SuperMac) has more pixels than
that on the screen.  I don't know what the *real* resolution is, but
I'd hate to not be able to put something in the trash because I was
using a big monitor, and the UnMouse didn't address that far down.  Of
course you could just switch into relative mode, but that would be
irritating.

The last concern I have is the price.  This thing retails for
something like $225.  Discounted price is around $189.  This gives the
UnMouse the dubious honor of being among the highest priced mouse
alternatives for the Mac.  Felix, which has been around for years, and
is also a counter culture type of device goes for $120 discounted, and
you can get some pretty nice trackballs (for those who like that sort
of thing) for around $60.  The technology is nice, but it seems kinda
pricey to me.  I'd rather plunk down my cash on something obviously
valuable (like the Ehman 45 Meg SyQuest removable I just got.  Nice
box, as good as any of the $1000+ boxes, except for the (easily
removable) internal terminators, and the fact that the power must be
on to access other SCSI devices.  No affiliation here, just another
satisfied customer).

Ken Wallich
wallich@amber.uucp
walich@metaphor.com