[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Hard disk benchmarks for Mac IIfx?

milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) (05/03/90)

Has anyone seen any benchmarks of hard disks yet that include performance
figures for the Mac IIfx?  I'm getting ready to buy one and I'm wondering
if I can get a faster transfer rate on my SCSI disk by getting a CDC Wren-runner
drive instead of the usual apple Quantum.

I've heard the standard Apple Quantum drive is no faster on an FX than it
is on a CI...does anyone know this to be true?  If it is true, it would
seem the drive is the bottleneck and having a faster unit like a
Wren-Runner would give you better disk transfer rates.

If anyone has done any benchmarking of FX drives (particularly compairing
their performance against a CI or Mac IIx) I'd like to hear about it.

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306
{uunet, rutgers}!iuvax!ndmath!milo
milo@ndmath
GEnie:  GCORSON

ephraim@leander.think.com (Ephraim Vishniac) (05/04/90)

In article <1800@ndmath.UUCP> milo@ndmath.UUCP (Greg Corson) writes:
>Has anyone seen any benchmarks of hard disks yet that include performance
>figures for the Mac IIfx?  I'm getting ready to buy one and I'm wondering
>if I can get a faster transfer rate on my SCSI disk by getting a CDC Wren-runner
>drive instead of the usual apple Quantum.

>I've heard the standard Apple Quantum drive is no faster on an FX than it
>is on a CI...does anyone know this to be true?

I just ran a simple test using SCSI Evaluator 1.02 on a IIfx.  My
internal disk is an Apple (Quantum) 80MB disk; the external disk is a
CDC Wren III.  Both disks are formatted with 1:1 interleaving.  I ran
SCSI Evaluator's default tests, for reads only.  For small transfers
(10K, 15K), the Apple 80MB disk was literally off the chart.  I
suspect this means that the controller caches more than 15K, but less
than 20K.  For 20K transfers and larger, the Apple disk did about
6000kbps.

For comparison, I ran the same test on my external disk, a CDC Wren
III.  Note that this is an old disk (1987?), presumably slower than
the Wren Runner.  I don't believe it does any local caching.
Transfers rates increased fairly smoothly with transfer size, starting
at about 6000kbps and increasing to nearly 8000kbps for the largest
transfers.

So, the Apple disk scored better on small transfers, probably due to
caching, and the CDC disk scored better on large transfers.  In
practice, which is "better" depends on the cache hit rate, the typical
transfer size, and the seek rate of the drives.  I didn't test seek
times for two reasons: (1) the test is lengthy and (2) my results on
a Wren III have absolutely no bearing on the performance of the Wren
Runner.
Ephraim Vishniac    ephraim@think.com   ThinkingCorp@applelink.apple.com
 Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142
        One of the flaws in the anarchic bopper society was
        the ease with which such crazed rumors could spread.

In article <36069@think.Think.COM> ephraim@think.com (Ephraim Vishniac) writes:
>I just ran a simple test using SCSI Evaluator 1.02 on a IIfx.  My
>internal disk is an Apple (Quantum) 80MB disk; the external disk is a
>CDC Wren III.  Both disks are formatted with 1:1 interleaving.  I ran
>SCSI Evaluator's default tests, for reads only.  For small transfers
>(10K, 15K), the Apple 80MB disk was literally off the chart.  I
>suspect this means that the controller caches more than 15K, but less
>than 20K.  For 20K transfers and larger, the Apple disk did about
>6000kbps.

After I wrote this yesterday, my memory suddenly engaged.  The Quantum
disks use a multi-way read-ahead cache.  That is, if you read a group
of sectors ending with X, the disk controller uses its idle time to
read sectors starting at X+1 into the cache.  If that's what you read
next, you win.  If not, you haven't lost anything because the disk was
just sitting there anyway.

The number and length of read-ahead groups is configurable.  If you
suspect, for example, that you'll typically switch back and forth
between reading three different areas of the disk, you can divide the
64K cache three ways.  From the SCSI Evaluator results, I guess Apple
has divided it four ways, with 16K of look-ahead for the four most
recently read sectors.

There are actually two benefits to this kind of caching.  Obviously,
the transfer of cached data is very quick because there's no
rotational latency.  Also, the number of seeks is reduced.  This is
extremely important in reducing working time for disk-bound
operations. It's also very difficult to judge the importance of it
from simple benchmarks.  There's nothing like running your own
application to judge the disks.