[comp.sys.mac.hardware] RS232 PostScript printer connection?

tgl@zog.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane) (05/03/90)

As far as I can tell from the manual, Apple's LaserWriter driver only knows
how to talk to AppleTalk-connected printers.  Is there a way to persuade
this driver to talk to a generic PostScript printer via RS232?  If not, what
software are all those non-Apple PostScript printers driven with?

--
				tom lane
Internet: tgl@cs.cmu.edu

philip@Kermit.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (05/03/90)

In article <9130@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, tgl@zog.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane) writes:
> As far as I can tell from the manual, Apple's LaserWriter driver only knows
> how to talk to AppleTalk-connected printers.  Is there a way to persuade
> this driver to talk to a generic PostScript printer via RS232?  If not, what
> software are all those non-Apple PostScript printers driven with?
The vast majority of PS printers DO have AppleTalk interfaces. Exceptions are
mainframe-oriented printers and upgraded printers (e.g., with a cartridge).
I'm not sure about clones, but Adobe presumably decided to make AppleTalk
either standard or a low-cost option, since they had to do it anyway for
Apple.

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

ir648@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Chet Koblinsky) (05/04/90)

In article <1990May2.213248.28209@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>In article <9130@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, tgl@zog.cs.cmu.edu (Tom Lane) writes:
>> As far as I can tell from the manual, Apple's LaserWriter driver only knows
>> how to talk to AppleTalk-connected printers.  Is there a way to persuade
>> this driver to talk to a generic PostScript printer via RS232?  If not, what
>> software are all those non-Apple PostScript printers driven with?

I have a description of turning the Laserwriter driver into a serial
port Postcript driver from Info-Mac by Ray_Davidson@cc.sfu.ca.
If anybody want it, please email me.

weber@sunrise.harvard.edu (Bob Weber) (05/06/90)

I have the use of a dec ln03R laserprinter with a postscript enhancement.
i don't believe it supports appletalk (fairly certain).  can i drive it
with an rs232 connection?
thanks
bob weber

Bob Weber                    | Voice (617) 495-3744
Sr. Technology Consultant    | Fax   (617) 495-0500
Harvard University/OIT       | Bitnet: weber@harvarda
50 Church St., 4th Floor     | Internet: weber@sunrise.harvard.edu
Cambridge, MA 02138          |           weber@popvax.harvard.edu