[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SE==>SE/30 upgrade

blood@aludra.usc.edu (Brian Blood) (05/03/90)

From blood Wed May  2 19:03:59 1990
To: /home/chaph9/blood/.article

Ok so what happens to the other drive for us dual floppy SE owners who want to
upgrade to an SE/30??? I know I get one drive replaced with a FDHD but what @
my other 800K drive? Pleasse e-mail any responses!!!!

+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/
Brian Blood		Univ. of Southern Cal. Underground Mac Dude
INTERNET: blood@usc.edu			Business Hours: 20/24 daily
Disclaimer: 'Vuja De'--None of this has ever happened!
SnailMail: 333 Prestonwood DR #2506 	AT&TLink: USC--(213)745-2760
	   Richardson, TX 75081			  HomeSweetHome--(214)907-2943
'Pain don't hurt'-'Roadhouse'		'We don't need no stinkin' badges!'-BS
+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/+-*/

Boeheim@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu (Chuck Boeheim) (05/04/90)

In article <9555@chaph.usc.edu> blood@aludra.usc.edu (Brian Blood) writes:
> Ok so what happens to the other drive for us dual floppy SE owners who
want to
> upgrade to an SE/30??? I know I get one drive replaced with a FDHD but
what @
> my other 800K drive?

I just had this upgrade done yesterday, though on a one-floppy system so I
can't directly answer your question.  However, the FDHD upgrade is
separate from the SE/30 upgrade, and costs several hundred dollars more,
so I didn't spring for it.  I got back an SE/30 with a little sticker
beside the drive that says "800K".  Some places may offer the two upgrades
as a package, so check carefully what you're getting for the price.

One real shock was about memory.  I had put 4 1M SIMMS in my SE before
upgrading it.  I was told by the salesperson that the SE/30 logic board
came with 4 256K SIMMS already on it, so that after the upgrade I would
have a total of 5 megabytes after the upgrade.  (Because the SE/30 has 8
SIMM slots instead of 4.)  I got it back, took it home, and found it only
had 4 megabytes installed.

So this morning I called the store, and was told by the technician that
Apple requires them to return the old SE board to them with 1 megabyte of
memory installed for them to get credit for it.  So they had swapped the
memory from the SE/30 board to the old SE board to fill it up.  After
rather forcefully stating that they were legally responsible for their
salesperson's promises, I got a call from the store manager who told me to
just bring in the old 4 256K chips (which I still had, but couldn't use in
the SE/30 because they were too slow) to exchange for the 4 new, fast 256K
chips.  Sounds like it will be a happy ending, but I'll wait until I have
the new chips in hand to say that for certain.

So be sure of what you're getting when you get this upgrade!  If you've
upgraded to 4 1M SIMMS, take the old 4 256K SIMMS in with you to trade, or
even pop out the 1M SIMMS before the upgrade and put the 256K SIMMS back
in and then put the 1Ms back in after the upgrade.  If you plan it right,
you'll get a free extra megabyte.

Chuck Boeheim
(415) 926-4640

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (05/05/90)

In article <9302@lindy.Stanford.EDU>, Boeheim@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu (Chuck Boeheim) writes:
> In article <9555@chaph.usc.edu> blood@aludra.usc.edu (Brian Blood) writes:
>> Ok so what happens to the other drive for us dual floppy SE owners who
> want to
>> upgrade to an SE/30??? I know I get one drive replaced with a FDHD but
> what @
>> my other 800K drive?

    My girlfriend just had this upgrade done as well - from a 2 floppy SE
    to a one floppy SE/30.  The main problem was that the dealer didn't
    seem to have ever done one of these before since they never
    mentioned that the front bezel would be replaced or that there was
    only one internal floppy connector in the SE/30.  When they
    finally did realize and asked us, we said to still do the upgrade,
    but made sure they would give us the drive back.  They did and we
    sold it to someone who was building a Mac - though anyone with a
    single drive Mac II/x/fx machine might want it also.  We got $100,
    which is about half the educational price.

    Regarding the memory, we heard that the dealers have to send back
    a normal SE motherboard, so we made sure our motherboard looked
    exactly like it came with one meg - and added another four meg to
    the SE/30 within minutes of getting it out of the repair place.
    We're probably going to get a Kenect Drive 2.4 to add to the
    system because we miss the second floppy - not terribly - but
    noticibly.  I hate doing master disk backups on a single drive
    machine.

    Moral of the story - ask what will happen to all of your extra
    hardware and memory anonymously before you take your Mac in for
    upgrade.  Then try to bring what the dealer expects to prevent
    surprises.

    Adam
--
Adam C. Engst                                pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
"I ain't worried and I ain't scurried and I'm having a good time"

stevel@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Steve Ligett) (05/07/90)

In article <9302@lindy.Stanford.EDU> Boeheim@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu (Chuck Boeheim) writes:
>One real shock was about memory.  I had put 4 1M SIMMS in my SE before
>upgrading it.  I was told by the salesperson that the SE/30 logic board
>came with 4 256K SIMMS already on it, so that after the upgrade I would
>have a total of 5 megabytes after the upgrade.  (Because the SE/30 has 8
>SIMM slots instead of 4.)  I got it back, took it home, and found it only
>had 4 megabytes installed.
>
>So this morning I called the store, and was told by the technician that
>Apple requires them to return the old SE board to them with 1 megabyte of
>memory installed for them to get credit for it...
>Chuck Boeheim
>(415) 926-4640

Perhaps your dealer missed the Service Notice disseminated by Apple on
8/15/89 titled "NEW MACINTOSH LOGIC BOARD REPAIR STRATEGY"

(The manager of our shop tells me that this applies to upgrades as
well)

"Apple is introducing a new Macintosh repair strategy to simplify the
Service Provider repair process.  Effective August 15, all Macintosh
Service logic boards are being shipped without RAM Single In-line
Memory Modules (SIMMS).

Currently, Aple ships Macintosh Service logic boards with four 256K
RAM SIMMS installed.  However, with the new strategy you no longer
need to return logic boards to Apple with RAM SIMMS installed.

Do not return Macintosh logic boards to Apple with SIMMS installed.
Macintosh logic boards returned to Apple with SIMMS installed will be
returned to the Service Provider as "misconfigured modules"."

Some of that was in boldface, too.  On receipt of the notice, our shop
stripped all the SIMMS out of boards they had in stock, making a
little profit...

The bottom of the notice says "Mac Logic Board Repair Strategy
8/15/89    Read & Post"

--
steve.ligett@dartmouth.edu or ...!dartvax!steve.ligett